Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Overheating & A/C Lessons Learned

Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Default Overheating & A/C Lessons Learned

90 degree weather and idling with the a/c blowing

here was the issues I was having a few days bacl

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...ng-w-pics.html

Final Fixes:
Spal fan
ditched aluminum shroud (blow back issues possible)
full pressurized chem flush
water wetter
oil change

and what finally did it (mainly)

Replaced and incorrect or faulty temp sensor. My mechanic was scratching their heads as well after to the a/c install since the new rad was pretty good in their opinion though they didn't love the fan. After taking it for a spin with the Spal (minus shroud) they actually check the engine temp and realized the engine was running around 188 but was reading close to H. With the new sender in they re verified everything once I came to pick it up. Reality is I probably wasted hours researching and stressing over heat issues when I should have verified that there actually was an issue.

On a side note the Old Air system works amazingly and blows very cold (one need the first fan level even in this heat wave). I took some new cleaned up photos of my engine bay. Hope this helps.

https://picasaweb.google.com/W.Casag...eat=directlink

Last edited by wgc68nyc; 07-20-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

So i was kinda right the gauge was reading wrong its normal for older cars.But yeah sometimes the dumbest thing can give you a headache to chase down.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 AM
ynasef

Congrats on the new A/C!

I am thinking of installing a champion radiator and a 16" Spal fan. I wanted to know if using a shroud is necessary. Can I just mount the fan to the rad without a shroud?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ynasef
Congrats on the new A/C!

I am thinking of installing a champion radiator and a 16" Spal fan. I wanted to know if using a shroud is necessary. Can I just mount the fan to the rad without a shroud?
Andrew - Yeah you were right. I still have a feeling the previous setup was running warmer but had the garage not check the actual temp I would have sunk a couple hundred into 2 mini spal pushers too.

Ynasef - I would try without it first. The shroud I had wasnt the best and it covered the edge of the fan which may hav caused blow back. Also I could not mount my fan on the outside of the shroud due to space and that may have caused issue. Try it without with the a/c blowing and stuck idling to recreate a bad summer traffic jam and if you stay cool then why bother.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wgc68nyc
90 degree weather and idling with the a/c blowing

On a side note the Old Air system works amazingly and blows very cold (one need the first fan level even in this heat wave). I took some new cleaned up photos of my engine bay. Hope this helps.
It does, as I have a couple of older cars that never had A/C, and to build/rebuild either for year round use means I'd now need to add it. Thanks for adding another name to the list.

Norm
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM
tx65stang

What did your mechanic do to verify the sender was bad? I'm having issues with mine trying to overheat (according to gauge), and I've run through the typical issues to check short of installing a new water pump or pulling the heads off to check that the gaskets were installed correctly.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

He let the car idle and start moving past the middle and then checked the temp with an infrared laser gun. He shot the water pump/ thermastat housing and compared that to the needle in the dash. I was running 188 and it was reading H.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

That should make you feel better and the AC should definitely make you feel better in the next couple of days. Tomorrow is supposed to be 101° down here in NJ.
I much rather have a faulty sending unit any day!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Exactly what new sender did you use?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

my Autometer Ultra-lite guage reads 20* higher then the actual temp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating & A/C Lessons Learned