Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

FAST EZ-EFi system

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 AM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
There's no reason a carb can't get the same mileage, power and throttle response as EFI, unless it's not set up correctly.

That said, I've been looking at the EZ-EFI setup, possibly the port injection version for easier tuning and better adaptability when changing engine combinations.
It can but only for a few thousand miles before it requires retuning and adjustment to get it back(if your lucky that someone knows how to do it). Thats why the industry moved away from it, running. Efi systems never need tuning and generally outlive the engine itself.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rsusmark
The cam I used made for a pretty rough idle but the efi smoothed all that out.
Thats my only drawback. I have big nasty cam and now it sounds all tame, but oh well, wouldnt trade it.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I used the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 2 on my 408 powered 39, I haven't had it on the road yet, but around the lot it runs great and at idle it is super smooth. Plenty of power, and idles smooth.

The "on the fly" tunability from a/f to timing is something I have to admit to liking.

Carbs are great, but I built the 39 for drivabilty, a well functioning efi is hard to top in this regard.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ic237
It can but only for a few thousand miles before it requires retuning and adjustment to get it back(if your lucky that someone knows how to do it). Thats why the industry moved away from it, running. Efi systems never need tuning and generally outlive the engine itself.
That's completely false. Carbs don't "get out of tune" like I hear people mention sometimes. They're set mechanically, so once they're tuned, they're tuned. The AFR may vary as elevation and weather change, but most engines are pretty indifferent to changes in AFR of +/-5%, so it won't be enough to effect drivability or power to matter(unless it's a competitive race car).

And the industry got away from carbs because of emissions requirements, not drivability and mileage. Carbs just don't have the finite control required to regulate exhaust gas composition and temperature to get catalytic converters to work effectively.

That said, getting a good carb set up properly can be expensive, time consuming and sometimes a complete pia. That's the main reason I've been seriously considering the EZ-EFI system. It eliminates the need to have to physically tune the car.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:58 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Thats my only drawback. I have big nasty cam and now it sounds all tame, but oh well, wouldnt trade it.
Are you (Iskwezm) running the EZ EFI as well? If not, which EFI setup are you running?

I have a 351W stroked out to 408 with the Edelbrock RPM top end package. (intake, heads, cam) Lumpy idle note.....I would really like it smoother. Maybe this (EZ EFI) setup would be the ticket for me.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan
Are you (Iskwezm) running the EZ EFI as well? If not, which EFI setup are you running?

I have a 351W stroked out to 408 with the Edelbrock RPM top end package. (intake, heads, cam) Lumpy idle note.....I would really like it smoother. Maybe this (EZ EFI) setup would be the ticket for me.
I have the Retrotek
Old 08-13-2011, 03:29 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

That's completely false. Carbs don't "get out of tune" like I hear people mention sometimes. They're set mechanically, so once they're tuned, they're tuned. The AFR may vary as elevation and weather change, but most engines are pretty indifferent to changes in AFR of +/-5%, so it won't be enough to effect drivability or power to matter(unless it's a competitive race car).

And the industry got away from carbs because of emissions requirements, not drivability and mileage. Carbs just don't have the finite control required to regulate exhaust gas composition and temperature to get catalytic converters to work effectively.

That said, getting a good carb set up properly can be expensive, time consuming and sometimes a complete pia. That's the main reason I've been seriously considering the EZ-EFI system. It eliminates the need to have to physically tune the car.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...o/DSC00597.jpg
Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I don't know about that scheduled maintenance, in my experience most carbs I have ever messed with don't ever need to be reset once they are initially setup.

Especially carbs like the 4100.....
Old 08-13-2011, 08:36 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yes, and? Wtf is the point of that picture? It's listed as "non scheduled maintenance" and gives tasks to perform when something is wrong, not at a regular service intervals.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:54 AM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

Yes, and? Wtf is the point of that picture? It's listed as "non scheduled maintenance" and gives tasks to perform when something is wrong, not at a regular service intervals.
I posted it because I read it wrong..I was agreeing with you. A little defensive you are.

Quick Reply: FAST EZ-EFi system