Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

t5 swap in 70 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:33 PM
70mustanguy

Question t5 swap in 70 mustang

i have a few questions about the t5 swap. i dont have money to buy the t5 conversion i want to fab the crossmember. i think the c4 yoke will work but 1 heard that driveline length is an issue.and i have the stock cable and im wondering how i could mount the quadrant on the peadal
Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i did my own cross member. it was pretty easy.

DOnt know about the quadrant. i did a hydro. it was easy too. i bought the master and slave. i used an exhaust flang from a off road shop to reinforce the firewall. i also built my own brackets. it was about $100 total.

you will need to have your driveline cut down once it is done. I did run mine for a month without cutting it. it was a tight fit and dont recommend it.

let me know if you need parts. i have a t5, bell housing, and hurst shifter i can let go for cheap. I am also headed to carlsbad next friday.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

i have a few questions about the t5 swap. i dont have money to buy the t5 conversion i want to fab the crossmember.
No reason you can't, if you can weld and read a ruler.

i think the c4 yoke will work
Yes, it will. You just saved $100.

but 1 heard that driveline length is an issue.
about 3/4 of the time, the C4 driveshaft fits. It can be a tight install, but with the wheels on the ground the yoke slides out, giving you more clearance. Unless your name is Duke and you live in Hazzard County, your rear wheels will not be off the ground when driving.
and i have the stock cable and im wondering how i could mount the quadrant on the pedal.
The stock 69 linkage was not a cable, just go with that. Bolts right in.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 AM
70mustanguy

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
i did my own cross member. it was pretty easy.

DOnt know about the quadrant. i did a hydro. it was easy too. i bought the master and slave. i used an exhaust flang from a off road shop to reinforce the firewall. i also built my own brackets. it was about $100 total.

you will need to have your driveline cut down once it is done. I did run mine for a month without cutting it. it was a tight fit and dont recommend it.

let me know if you need parts. i have a t5, bell housing, and hurst shifter i can let go for cheap. I am also headed to carlsbad next friday.
i am interested how mutch would you want for the bare trany my first gear is blown and cluster so if i can get it for like around the price of the gears id have to buy i would buy it in a sec. how much should i have my driveline cut down?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 AM
70mustanguy

Originally Posted by 2+2GT

about 3/4 of the time, the C4 driveshaft fits. It can be a tight install, but with the wheels on the ground the yoke slides out, giving you more clearance. Unless your name is Duke and you live in Hazzard County, your rear wheels will not be off the ground when driving.

the cable i got out of the 91 gt the trans came out of
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 AM
70mustanguy

i can weld with a good welder but it looks simple and i have a tubing bender
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 AM
70mustanguy

any one have a 91 compatible world class cluster gear and first gear? i have money. and what all different gear ratios were there in 91? tomaro ill look and get the tag numbers on here
Old 08-25-2011, 12:49 AM
70mustanguy

Originally Posted by 70mustanguy
any one have a 91 compatible world class cluster gear and first gear? i have money. and what all different gear ratios were there in 91? tomaro ill look and get the tag numbers on here
and the number of teeth on the cluster and gears
Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 70mustanguy
the cable i got out of the 91 gt the trans came out of
Considering the cost of the stuff to make the cable work, I'm not sure it's much cheaper than just getting the stock stuff.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Considering the cost of the stuff to make the cable work, I'm not sure it's much cheaper than just getting the stock stuff.
Agreed....And you also don't have to try and snake the cable through the exhaust or headers without melting it..

Quick Reply: t5 swap in 70 mustang