Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help out a soldiers dream.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
twotone64
2nd Gear Member

Default Help out a soldiers dream.

I posted first in the new member section but thought Id get a little more exposure in this section.

I found this website after doing some searching online. I came here in search for some help in a project I have decided to take on. First allow me to introduce myself, the project and then my dream. My name is Rodney Hill, and I live and teach High high school shop classes in central California. The project is to complete my late brothers 65 Mustang to present to his daughters within 2 years time. My brother was killed in action in Baghdad Iraq on Oct. 29, 2005 by an IED. Now for the story behind the Mustang.

In 1993 after owning the car nearly 10 years, My brother asked me to try to diagnose an over heating problem on his 302 while taking auto courses in College. I agreed but then foolishly agreed to allow my buddy to borrow the car for a half hour to run go get his pay check from work. 45 minutes after allowing my friend to drive off, I called his work (he never showed up). I called his GF she didn't know where he was. So I began to walk the perimeter of the college to see if he was waiting for me in adifferent parking lot. When approaching the last corrner parking lot to my horror I saw my brothers beautiful blue Mustang wrapped around a light pole. My buddy who was living with my family at that time, agreed to pay a mere $2k in montly payments to my brother. One day after only two payments, while my family was out of town, he took all his stuff and moved out. We had to sue him in small claims to get the money. We recieved a nother $100 through wage garnishment, untill he filed for bankruptcy.

One day inthe summer of 2000 My brother and I were doing some yard work at his house. We were talking about my Chevelle which I had just started the frame up on, and he had mentioned he wished he had an extra$2K cause he had found a perfect project car in Stockton only 45 min away. That weekend he started his two weeksummer training for the Cal. National Guard. I approached his wife andI told her thatif she goes in with me that I would put $1500 down on the car. Well we ended up getting the car for only $1800. It had an extra motor and lots of parts. The car had never been in any major accidents, no cance at all and a great starter. Sea foam green (?) exterior and White interior. The next couple of years he spent taking it apart and stocking up on good used or new parts as he could afford them. He got a lot of hand me down parts from his buddy which was doing a 66 at the time.

In The summer of 2004 he announced to the family that he was being deployed to Iraq with his Unit, he 1-184, 1-487 Cal/Hawaii National guard and be attached to the 3rd ID out of Ft. Stewart Georgia. The next couple of months while stationed in Arizona ( I think) for training he was ordering parts for his suspension so that when he got home in 18 months He and I would start in on his car. Well Oct 29, 2005 our family was notified of his death. He along with his driver were killed by an IED while drivingin their Humvee on a volunteer mission to assist in Iraqi families who had been affected by a raid the night before.

His wife gave me the car knowing that it would be the best thing, and probably what my brother had wanted. So my dream is to complete this car and give to his little girls. One is in 8th grade and one is in High school (taking shop classes) in Iowa where they moved a year after my brothers death. The daughters are upset with their mom for her giving me the car, but I have told their mom what I would like to do. Last summer a few people from the American Legion in Turlock helped out and announced the dream to their members. A small news paper article was written about the car and I got a few more people willing to help. To this day, I have a new/rebuilt transmission donated, the engine was completed by my students, and a few people are willing to donate their time. I took the car to a car show on the 4th of July last year where I collected close to $400 to go toward odds and ends. The car is still in need of the entiror being refinished, the suspension put on the car, and the car being put back together. I have abody man that has agreed to do the body work for $2,500, but dont have anyone currently to paint the car or paint itself. I also have one of his soldiers that has secured the body to be media blasted just before body work, and have a gentleman that served with him his first few years that served with my father, that has agreed to some monitary help, but not sure how much.

So I am asking if there was any way any of you could help me out in this situation. Ideas, physical help, parts etc. If you have any questions, or commentsplease feel free to email me or post here. My email address is rodnamy@sbcglobal.net. Please put "Mustang Help" in the subject line. Thank you for your time and generosity.

Rod Hill

Here are the pictures of hisold car before and after the accident, and the new project along with a family photo.

Two more pictures. One of the new project, and one of him and his family prior to his Iraq deployment

Last edited by twotone64; 07-25-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 PM
speedstang06
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help out a soldiers dream.

sorry to hear about your brother, and I wish you good luck in finishing the project car.
Where at in Iowa are his family living?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:51 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

My deepest condolences (sp?) to you for your loss. If you ever have any questions the people in this section will not hesitate to help you. It's a great thing that you're doing and your nieces will be very happy, good luck and welcome.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 PM
JapanGT
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear your brother is no longer with us. Is there any way your story can be verified.
There are so many scams these days, it's often hard to tell what is real.

Jav
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

Sorry to hear your brother is no longer with us. Is there any way your story can be verified.

Jav
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/ira...ies/page3.html

Even though I knew there have been a lot of casualties, it really blew my mind how far down the list I had to scroll to reach 'Hill'. []
Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 AM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

sorry for your loss man. you will get a ton of help on here. and im sure your neices will be very pleased.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM
twotone64
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JapanGT

Jav
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Jav, You can google my brothers name, and even find articles about the Mustang. This link is to the San Francisco Chronicle where it mentions his Mustang. Im really not sure what else I could do to verify this but it is what it is.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...01&sc=1000

So far I have torn the car down to most of its nuts and bolts, categorized everything, and have the sheetmetal off of the front end, the doors off, and the trunk lid off. The enteriorhas been taken out, and the car awaits my starting the restoration. His Widow My sister-in-Law lives in Sioux City Iowa, and has said she can spend some money on it but does not have an unlimited budget for it. I would like to get by without spending any of her money at all. I really would like to not only make this car for his daughters, but get the community to pitch in to make it something that they could feel like they gave back to a soldier who gave the greatest sacrifice.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:50 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

What parts do you need? Can you be specific on interior parts, including colors or styles?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM
twotone64
2nd Gear Member

What parts do you need? Can you be specific on interior parts, including colors or styles?
Seat covers, carpet, sound deadener, headliner, moisture barriers, door panels, arm rests glove box anddash pad. The entirior was white, and I was planning on keeping it that way. The carpet I believe was green, but Im not sure. On the exterior I also am in need of a passenger fender, as the one that is on there has had some damage from a minor fender bender, on the front edge, and rear edge near the door.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Looks legitimate. Found this.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221497

Sorry, twotone64, no offense meant but I had to check it out. Hope you don't mind. Do you have a shipping address for parts? Might have something for you.

Quick Reply: Help out a soldiers dream.