Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 Fastback - Daily Driver/Rolling Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I agree with the above posts. If you are looking for horsepower and fuel economy you might want to look into the 6 speed transmissions and match it to the gearing in the rearend. You can get a high horsepower engine but to really get the gas mileage you need a 5-6 speed.

I do not know if you're looking to have a stick or automatic though. TCI has a very expensive 6 speed automatic but I'd recommend a gear vendors which is cheaper up front and not something you have to heavily modify.

As for the front suspension have you looked at the TCP front suspension? I know I was looking at it for my 69 sportroof, but have decided to save up for the Griggs suspension, even if it is expensive.

My brother has the Baer 14" 6 piston drilled and slotted on his 07 shelby and he really loves them.

On a side note if this is your daily driver who do you have for insurance? I cannot find anyone that will talk to me about insuring my 69 as a daily.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1965fastback
Are you wanting to keep a carb or go fuel injection? Both can get good mpgs if tuned properly, but IMO I would rather have the reliability of EFI for my daily driver, but thats just me.
I currently have a carb and it is well tuned but I cant reap any benefits 'cause of my 3 speed, that car is loud on the highway were most of my driving is done.
Originally Posted by musnicki
I make sure that when I start a project on Friday night that hopefully I will be turning the last bolt by Sunday night so that I will be able to drive to work on Monday
I know what you mean. once i was changing my carb and everything went ok, except when i tried to turn it on.....my fuel pump had died and i couldnt figure it out. that was not a good couple of days, had to call out
Originally Posted by 67mustang302
A 331 or 347 with good heads and a custom cam will make well into the 400hp range and still get over 20mpg on the highway with a 5 speed. Just gotta be willing to spend the money.
I really hope so, I would like to keep it Ford and preferably not mess with the shock towers either

Thanks for the tips. I am leaning for the 302 with an EFI
Old 09-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69FB
On a side note if this is your daily driver who do you have for insurance? I cannot find anyone that will talk to me about insuring my 69 as a daily.
well, because it is a daily i was able to insure it with a couple of the major companies ( i switched a few years back with no problems) currently its GEICO but i plan to switch to one that deals with classics.
and i like to keep it manual
Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I think Hagerty will insure for a daily.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

Can some one tell me the difference between these 2? i dont understand the price difference

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...sp?T1=NR362+01
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...asp?T1=LED2+01
Old 09-22-2011, 06:40 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

The first kit has many small LED's. The second kit has three rows of large, surrounded by small.

I would take a look at these as Mustang Project is known to have the best LED's as well as great customer service:

http://mustangproject.com/ProductDis...8-adeedd738c56
Old 09-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

I'm not too crazy about sequentials, which is why i linked those but if the kit you mention could be programmed not to do that then i definitely get those. I'll give them a call

Thanks for the link
Old 09-22-2011, 09:44 AM
wgc68nyc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 69FB
I agree with the above posts. If you are looking for horsepower and fuel economy you might want to look into the 6 speed transmissions and match it to the gearing in the rearend. You can get a high horsepower engine but to really get the gas mileage you need a 5-6 speed.

I do not know if you're looking to have a stick or automatic though. TCI has a very expensive 6 speed automatic but I'd recommend a gear vendors which is cheaper up front and not something you have to heavily modify.

As for the front suspension have you looked at the TCP front suspension? I know I was looking at it for my 69 sportroof, but have decided to save up for the Griggs suspension, even if it is expensive.

My brother has the Baer 14" 6 piston drilled and slotted on his 07 shelby and he really loves them.

Geico is who I use to insure my 68 as a regular vehicle. $800 in NYC with no restrictions and even bumped up a few things since if I hit anything it will be a Merc or BMW. They wont do theft though which sucks. Progressive would but it add $1000 a year and they wont tell you what kind of value they would pay out,
Old 09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by NoReins
I think Hagerty will insure for a daily.
My dad has hagerty and he said that they won't let you do that. You have to have another vehicle. I was going to put hagerty on the 67 until he told me that.

Originally Posted by 1965fastback
Are you wanting to keep a carb or go fuel injection? Both can get good mpgs if tuned properly, but IMO I would rather have the reliability of EFI for my daily driver, but thats just me.
Carbs can be just as reliable, my 67 is my DD and I've had it 4 years.

Last edited by 1slow67; 09-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
SchumiJr

You could use State Farm and insure under a stated value policy. Its been about 10 yrs since mine has been insured but at least they used to do it that way.

Quick Reply: 67 Fastback - Daily Driver/Rolling Restoration