Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

stroker 351w build info

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:38 PM
big_burgey

Default stroker 351w build info

hi im building a stroker 351w with a 3.85 crank and 302 rods and pistions and im wanting to know if with running pump gas what kind of pistion style should i use and are the stock heads ok or are there better heads for that kinda build and what kinda cam should i go with
Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 PM
MustangFTW

what are you looking to do with the engine? drag it, daily driver duty, weekend cruiser, summer car...?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 AM
big_burgey

a beefy weekend cruiser
Old 10-03-2011, 07:50 AM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Unless you are very knowledgeble on putting one of those so called "budget" 392 motors together I think you are much better off going with a kit like a scat 408....They drop right in with almost no fuss at all...No stock heads are not going to cut it on a stroker motor..You basically have just turned your smallblock into a big block..You now need heads that flow big block numbers..As for the camshaft that depends on many things..What do you intend to do with the car?..How "beefy" do you want it?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

When building a stroker, you need to do lots of math.

Math to get the piston right in the cylinder, and math to get the compression ratio where you want it.

Without knowing more, your question cant be answered accurately...

But I can give you my opinion that a stock displacement 351 with good heads will make more and better power than a stroked 351 with stock heads.

If you are at a place of either/or, I would elect for heads, intake, and exhaust over a stroker.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
big_burgey

ok so to get about 400 hp with this motor what is the best way to go all i have right now is the block i was going to go with the cleveland cause it was the motor that came out of it and finding cleveland motors are a pain so i got the windsor and i saw the buget build 351 stroker and figured that would be it. im looking to get alittle over 400hp any idea
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by big_burgey
ok so to get about 400 hp with this motor what is the best way to go all i have right now is the block i was going to go with the cleveland cause it was the motor that came out of it and finding cleveland motors are a pain so i got the windsor and i saw the buget build 351 stroker and figured that would be it. im looking to get alittle over 400hp any idea

400 at the crank needs little more than valve train upgrade, port work, headers, timing, ignition, intake, carb, and fuel delivery.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dodgestang
400 at the crank needs little more than valve train upgrade, port work, headers, timing, ignition, intake, carb, and fuel delivery.
Maybe possible with the cleveland but you would be very hard pressed to get 400hp out of a windsor using the stock heads....It is very doable with a set of aftermarket heads though..No need to stroke it for 400hp..
Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
big_burgey

ok so ill look at aftermarket heads and parts for it that way when i get back from afghanistan ill have something to play with thanks guys
Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by frdnut
Maybe possible with the cleveland but you would be very hard pressed to get 400hp out of a windsor using the stock heads....It is very doable with a set of aftermarket heads though..No need to stroke it for 400hp..
I agree. While I don't have any dyno numbers to back this up, Jim's 408 with Vic Jr. heads, Air Gap, headers and too much cam IMO makes well in excess of 400 HP according to my seat of the pants dyno...

My guess is closer to 500 than 400.....

Quick Reply: stroker 351w build info