Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Turn signal/horn/brake light issues.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 PM
fire6077

Default Turn signal/horn/brake light issues.......

Hey everyone,

I'm sure these questions have been asked a bazillion times on here but I'm gonna make it a bazillion and one tonight. LOL!! Ok so the problems I'm having is with the turn signals, horn and the third bezel light on the passenger side rear not working on my 68 coupe. I have LED taillights and the 13.5 inch woodgrain steering wheel on it.

The brake lights work(except for that third bezel right side rear I mentioned up above) when I step on the brake pedal, emergency flashers work when turned on, headlights and parking lights all work when the headlight switch is pulled out to the first and second "on" position, GT lights work when GT light switch is pulled out to the "on" position and my instrument panel lights come on when the headlight switch is pulled to the "on" positon.

I am gonna replace the turn signal switch and wiring that goes through and down the steering column to the base and see if that fixes my turn signal issue but any ideas or help from you all about any of my problems would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for any help/tips, advise you give me.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

If your problem is only the third bezel not lighting up that's in the LED - there's only one wire to the old bulb socket from the turn signal assy. If you have power to the other LED's it's not the TS switch.

Also be aware LED's usually need a special electronic flasher to account for the reduced current flow of a LED in comparison to incandescent lamp.

As far as the horn, it could be anything from the horn button to the horn itself. You may need to pull the wheel apart to see if the correct horn ring is installed.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 AM
fire6077

thanks Jlg for the info. appreciate it. Yeah a friend of mine checked out the turn signal switch the other day and said it looks likes its in good shape and condition. I pulled the tail light housing and LED board from that side and gonna check it out today. Where would that special electronic flasher you mentioned in your reply be located at or supposed to be located at? I ask because when I got the car back in July it already had the LED's in it. Also any ideas as to why the turn signals dont work? Think it could be just a dead wire somewhere causing that? Thanks again for any help that can be shed on this.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:45 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fire6077
thanks Jlg for the info. appreciate it. Yeah a friend of mine checked out the turn signal switch the other day and said it looks likes its in good shape and condition. I pulled the tail light housing and LED board from that side and gonna check it out today. Where would that special electronic flasher you mentioned in your reply be located at or supposed to be located at? I ask because when I got the car back in July it already had the LED's in it. Also any ideas as to why the turn signals dont work? Think it could be just a dead wire somewhere causing that? Thanks again for any help that can be shed on this.
First of all I would check the 20amp fuse that's tied into the system first. Second I would check and make sure the flasher is good.

I would find and test the signal out wire of the turn signal switch with a circuit tester. simply looking at it and saying it looks good doesn't always do it.

If you're getting power out then test the power out circuit for continuity to the tail lights themselves. If you have good continuity, then the problem is in your tail lights or with the ground. Not sure what tail lamps you have but it's possible that they have a common ground for all circuits (brakes, parking, turn, etc.). If not then you'll have to isolate the ground and make sure it's good.

If you're not getting power out then make sure you're getting power to the turn signal switch. It's a chutes and ladders process. Just keep climbing the ladder till you run into a problem then take the chute back to isolate the problem.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
fire6077

Thanks JoJo for your info on this as well. I'm gonna do all that on my next day off from work and hopefully I'll be able to isolate and fix whatever the problem is with the signals.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Before you do much more, do the front signal lights flash correctly when you turn the signals on?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 PM
fire6077

yes they do Jlg. Everything else works front and back except for the rear signal lights that dont work and that third outside bezel LED light on the passenger side rear
Old 11-08-2011, 03:26 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fire6077
yes they do Jlg. Everything else works front and back except for the rear signal lights that dont work and that third outside bezel LED light on the passenger side rear
Thanks that helps in narrowing it down. two more questions:
-Do the rear lights come on solid but don't flash when the left or right signal are selected?
-Do the rears work correctly with the hazard flashers?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 AM
fire6077

-The rear lights do nothing when the left or right signal is selected. No solid lights and no flash when the turn signal is selected either left or right.

-Yes the rears work correctly with the hazard flashers. I just checked all that again earlier today.

On a positive note when I rechecked the passsenger side LED board and by rechecking it I mean i plugged it back in but only it itself(its not back in the tailight housing yet) as well as the driver side rear LED board and that third outside row of LED lights on it worked fine today. Everything else worked when i stepped on the brake pedal and turned on the parking lights and turned on the emergency flashers. turn signals both sides in the back still didnt work however.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

see the attached diagram:
Circuit 1 is the power for the flashers. the fact that the front lights (attached to circuit 3 and 4) flash tell you that circuit 1 is also good.
Circuit 2 is the emergency flashers and the fact that the tail lites flash confirms the wring to all of the the lamps and the circuit grounds are good.
This leaves circuit 5 as the integration point (the turn signal switch). to troubleshoot, swap the two flashers and see if anything new happens- I don't think it will but its the easiest thing to do.
Disconnect the turn signal switch plug and jumper a wire from the blue wire hole to the green orange or orange blue it should cause the rear light to flash or at least come on solid. if it does you have a bad turn signal switch.
If it doesn't - you need to go back to the lights and look for 12 volts with the jumper applied and the bulb not installed on the orange blue or green orange wire.
If you do- there's something wrong with those LEDS

Last edited by jlg2002; 11-09-2011 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Turn signal/horn/brake light issues.......