Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 Mustang.. Should i go for it?

Old 11-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Kirklandkie
1st Gear Member

i hope you mean 3000 dollars? 300 seems light even if you're doing ALL the work yourself

-kirk
Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i would keep looking. Save your money for a little while longer and and buy a better car. It you can keep saving until you get 2500 you can probably get a decent V8 driver. then at that point, you can slowly spruce it up and have a really decent ride and still be under $5k.

Like the previous guy said. YOU DO NOT BUY THESE CARS AND FLIP THEM TO MAKE $. Unless your a pro and can do 99% of the work yourself it is next to impossible. There are deals out there but they dont come along every day. especially for $1200. Keep looking!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Kitten Tooth

Yea i think ill have to wait and hope he dont sell it until i get a job. like i said though, the rust is just in the back mostly in the trunk. I got underneath it and took a peak and it looked damn good under there. The only thing wrong was the trunk was pretty much gone on the inside. The interior is really nice. Brand new floor pans were put in. The driver seat is a little bit shreddy and the headliner is coming down. Thats all that was wrong with the interior. That and the dash on top looked like it was sagging down over the gauges almost. Under the hood was pretty clean, just dust and dirt on the motor and shock towers. The body is really solid except for the trunk. He showed me a catalog with repair panels in it for like 45-60 bucks a piece for the rear end. I can do the painting and priming just not the welding. A guy i know can probably do that for less than 300 bucks. I could even have him do 1 panel and let me watch so i could possibly do the rest. I heard MiG is way easier to use than arc as far as welding goes. I used the arc in school and i wasnt bad but i dont think i could do good looking body work with one of those. Im 16 guys... i dont know sh** about body work on cars. The only painting experience i have is rattle can with my motorcycle. I know how to paint with a good spray gun but i just used spray paint on my motorcycle tank and rear fender. It came out awesome but i only put on like 3 coats and i didnt even wet sand or anything so it started to look like a rat bike like half way through the summer. im just going to wait till i get a job to get that car if its still there. If i do buy it im sure ill be posting alot more threads on this forum. Thanks for all the replies everyone, i kinda didnt expect anyone to post on this thread so i rate this forum a 10/10
Old 11-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Kitten Tooth

also, do you guys have other sections on this forum for other Fords? My dad owns a 1999 Crown vic police car thats in need of some work.. i could use a good forum for that, i cant find any good ones that specialize in newer Fords.. The only thing wrong with that car is theres an oil leak. Dont know how to determine if its the rear main seal or just an oil pan gasket..
Old 11-21-2011, 12:44 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default 66 Mustang 200 value

Just to give you some comparison: I purchased a 1966 Mustang with a 200 CI automatic about 4 years ago for $6,000. Extremely clean metal (Texas car). I had the 200 replaced with a 302 for about $3,000. Many upgrades after . . .