MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   1966 Ignition Switch/Cylinder Help (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/657754-1966-ignition-switch-cylinder-help.html)

planetjb 11-16-2011 06:51 PM

1966 Ignition Switch/Cylinder Help

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the forums.

I recently decided to repaint the interior of my 1966 Mustang Coupe.

In that process, I decided to pull out the gauges.

I also purchased a new ignition switch and cylinder.

I'm a novice when it comes to cars so I followed the instructions for installation from this youtube page:

Well..it didn't work.

I have power to the car, the AC works, the radio works, but when I rotate the key over to 'start' nothing happens. No clicking, no noise, no nothing.

Any tips/advice would really help me out.

Thanks!

MustangFTW 11-16-2011 07:54 PM

did you double check the wires that go into the ignition, the part that he pulls off right around 2mins has a back cover, pull that off and take a look inside, you should see 4 wires(?) connected into 3 slots, make sure there in there good.

if you didnt mess with anything under the hood this is the only thing i can think off, unless one of the wires stripped from rubbing up against metal and shorted.

jojobanks 11-16-2011 08:00 PM

it's possible the brand new switch you bought could be bad. I would take it back out and re-check all the connections and make sure the ignition fuse didn't blow. If you have a test light, hook everything up with the switch out of the dash and turn the key to the start position and check for voltage at the red with blue stripe wire. Also check voltage at the hot wire on the nut at the back of the switch. If you have voltage at the hot wire but not at the red with blue stripe wire with the key in the start position then you need to return the switch or possibly replace the ign switch connector.

TexasAxMan 11-17-2011 03:10 PM

When you take the switch back out, you can check it out with a DMM.

Also, make sure you got the cylinder seated properly, I had a little trouble with that.

Bradley1966 07-15-2013 05:13 PM

Ignition voltage

New to the forum. I have a problem I believe traces back to the ignition. I'm getting 12V at the + coil terminal with the ignition in "On". When cranking the engine in "Start", the voltage drops to 9.5V.

Based on everything I've read, the voltages are opposite what they should be, that is, should be 9.5V in "On" and 12V to "Start". Wires appear to be correct at the coil and starter relay. Also, at the starter relay where, with the ignition in the "On" position, I'm getting 12V at the "I" terminal and 0V at the "S" terminal. Unsure whether that is the expected condition.

I am getting no spark out of the coil while cranking the engine. New coil and the resistance tests good.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks