Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

gas smell from my 260-V8

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM
64 1/2

Question gas smell from my 260-V8

My car has sat for 7-8 yrs. (a 64 1/2)
I have replaced the recovery hose (coming from the back of the carb) which was worn.
I do not see any signs of any other obvious worn out hoses.
good compression, runs great, idles smooth.
but,
It has a bad gas smell that I need to get a handle on.
It is not just from inside the car, it permeates anywhere the car is running.
(not from the rubber gas fill hose in trunk)
could it be an exhaust system problem?
both tailpipes seem to have equal airflow...if that means anything

can it be running too rich? or need a carb adj? I have not touched anything else as of yet. I have had this car for 25 yrs and it has always run great.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
MustangFTW

Did you replace it with the correct hose? not sure about the 64s but mine has a metal flap at the valve cover end. Also check your oil filter cap, they act as a filter.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM
MustangFTW

Oil filler*

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 AM
64 1/2

I will check the oil filler cap.
the hose was right, but I did not see any metal end to it.
I will double check that
It just clamped to the plug that fits into the valve cover
Old 12-03-2011, 12:55 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

If you have an original carb they usually have a filter right in front of them. It's yellow like brass cylinder. The solder tends to break on them so check on that. Iwhen running just put a paper towel around it to see if it gets wet

Anyway if running only then only when the system is pressurized. So I would check everything from pump forward first
Old 12-04-2011, 07:58 AM
64 1/2

If you have an original carb they usually have a filter right in front of them. It's yellow like brass cylinder. The solder tends to break on them so check on that. Iwhen running just put a paper towel around it to see if it gets wet

the gasket seemed to be damp, I put a paper towel around it, ran it for a bit, and do not see any sign of leaking. I would imagine that those parts would need care after sitting so long.

I need to air out the garage, and part of the house...
I need to check the fuel pump and filter next.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 AM
MustangFTW

You could buy a rebuild kit for 20 bucks at most auto part stores, comes with a new accelerator pump, gaskets, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
64 1/2

I checked all around the carb, and tightend up all bolts and screws . That seemed to dry up all of the weeping gaskets.
I am not ready to say gas smell solved, but that helped greatly. Fuel pump and lines all look dry and dusty. Is it worth hoping that these gasket issues improve as pressurized fluids move through the engine?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Gun Jam

Hey

Check the pickup hose at the underside of the fuel tank. This is the rubber hose that connects the fuel pickup inside the tank to the hard fuel line that runs to the fuel pump in the engine bay. Basically you have two hard fuel lines coupled by this rubber hose that tends to leak when it gets old. you have to get way under the car by the front bottom center of the fuel tank to see it. (if that makes sense)

-Gun
Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i assume youre smelling like gas after driving it?? how is your hood to cowl seal?? if its hard or missing youre gonna smell like gas after driving it....also check to make sure the manifold to h pipe bolts are tight etc and there there are no holes in the exhaust system etc\

it could be running rich too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gas smell from my 260-V8