Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

timing cover oil seal replace in car question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Gun Jam

Default timing cover oil seal replace in car question

Hello

After replacing a timing chain and installing a new timing chain cover an oil leak has started up its either coming from the oil pan gasket (felpro one piece blue) but I have what looks like oil above that gasket more testing is required.

If it turns out to be the timing cover oil seal (which was just replaced) do you think I can install a new one with out removing the Water pump and timing cover?

I plan to remove the damper wheel then cut the oil seal and roll it out. I then plan to remove the paint from the new seal and tap it in carefully.

Has anyone successfully replaced timing cover oil seal without removing the timing cover?

Thanks

-Gun
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I haven't done it, but I don't know of a reason you cant change the seal this way.

In the past I have used a FelPro one piece pan seals without sealer (as recommended) only to have it leak. went back with sealer and no leaks.

I always use silicone on the harmonic balancer seals where it meets the case also.

Oil leaks bug the **** out of me.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
MustangFTW

interesting thing, my old timing cover had a lip so that the seal can only be put in or removed from the other side. the new one has no lip.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

What year is the engine?...Seems to me some seals are driven in from inside the cover..Also when installing the front cover you need to install the damper before you tighten up the timing cover bolts..This will help align the seal on the damper..Later years had dowels to locate the timing cover..

Last edited by frdnut; 12-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Gun Jam

these install from the front the engine is 65 iirc...

im still hoping its the oil pan seal...ill know tomorrow i hope
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Odd. My original equipment '67 timing cover will only let me install the seal from the rear.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
MustangFTW

it's the same for me starfury, the new I bought has it open from both ends.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Gun Jam

Yeah its not an original TC. The seal is most easily installs from the front of the cover....I didnt install the seal backwards did I? The open end with the round spring faces inside towards the block and the solid end faces out right?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Exactly
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Gun Jam

I still cant find that damn leak...its actually getting on the outside of the damper wheel which is then slinging it off onto the bottom of the coil and the alternator.

There is a drip line that runs front and center down the oil pan yet the damper wheel is a good inch away from everything. also the well that the TC oil seal fits in appears dry and I have yet to see an oil drop accumulate at the bottom apex of the TC oil seal...

Quick Reply: timing cover oil seal replace in car question