Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1970 Mach 1 restoration on a tight budget

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

how wide are those rims in the back and what size tire?

you're doing a hell of a job on that car though. Still gotta adjust that door a little but other than that it looks 100 times better.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

I believe the rims in back are 8" but not sure on the offset since they came with the car. The tires are 245/60/15" TA radials. I know they are not the best gripping rubber by a long shot but they just look right to me on mustangs and they can hold up to a good amount of burning rubber which is what I intend to do with them soon as I get the 351C all dialed in.

I still have alot of panel adjustment to do but have been focusing on the major issues first and figured I would tweak all the panels after I get the big issues sorted out. I am still hoping I can have it up and running by summer and finished by end of November which will be the one year mark. Don't know if I will make the totally finished part but should have no problem at least having it running by summer. I am hoping to actully do its maiden drive by end of april although that is assuming I don't run into major cost issues rebuilding the motor which might slow things down since cost is a major factor in the rebuild.

Edited to add: love the look of that red mustang! Is it one of yours? I like that paint except if I go red, I will probably go with black stripes and hood.

Last edited by oldrock; 01-27-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I wish, I'd love to be able to build a 69-70 Sportsroof.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:19 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

been doing alot of little things on the mustang lately so not alot of show for my work but every little step gets it one step closer. Started doing some work on the 351c motor. Picked up a used holley street dominator 4 barrel intake and holley 650 double pumper to upgrade the motor. Also got a felpro gasket kit and HEI distributer. PLan to tear into the motor this weekend and see what I can get done there. Also got the instrument panel all cleaned up and the new circuit board all installed plus redid the wiring in areas where it showed signs of heat damage. The interior is starting to look more like a Mach 1 now although it still has alot of work to go before it hits the street

Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

been focusing on the engine this week and got the aluminum street dominator intake installed and the 650 double pumper rebuilt plus installed the new long tube headers installed and fired up the 351 for the first time just jury rigged up on stands. Other than the crummy mr gasket dual intake fuel line for the double pumper giving me lots of trouble with leaks, went well and the engine is about ready to shoehorn back into the car!

my redneck engine test setup HAHA!
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

thought i would do an update on the mustang today. This week I installed new calipers for the front disc brakes and also installed a rebuilt bendix brake booster and master cylinder. The big project for this week was that i finally got the 351 cleveland installed back where it belongs

The engine install wasn't without some headaches (always seems to happen). After a couple of false starts, the engine finally bolted in the engine mounts and looks really good. I still have an issue with the tranny crossmember not lining up with the the two bolts coming down off the tranny. Since the engine wasn't in the car when I got it, rather than worry too much about that, I plan to just weld up an adapter plate so I don't get too bogged down on that part.

One thing that turned out really nice was the hedman long tube headers. Even though the cleveland is a pretty wide engine for a small block, the headmens bolted right in with no problems. I am looking forward to firing it up with the headers but still have lots of things to do before I will be ready for that.

I am hoping to get the radiator installed this weekend so I can do a leak test and then start tuning the 650 dbl pumper which is always fun.

Last edited by oldrock; 03-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

I know your doing this build on a budget but patience is cheap. Myself, I hate doing things twice. Take your time and you'll find you have a better finished product, just my 2 cents FWIW. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by chillininnh; 03-03-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

totally agree with you. It doesn't look like fresh paint in that pic but I laid down a fresh coat of high heat black earlier in the project. What you see is just the dust from sanding the body filler. It will wipe right off and look good.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

got the radiator installed and did a short video of it running today. Looking forward to getting it back on the street!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b51kFCSK8lc
Old 07-17-2012, 12:53 PM
DUR@N

Hello, I too have a 70 Mach 1 I plan on restoring and would just like to know about how much it cost to restore yours. I know it is a case by case basis but by looking at your pictures and mine I can use it as a basis point to know what I'm looking forward to. I plan on doing as much of the work I can myself along with 2 other friends who also own several classic mustangs. Thanks