Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine and transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 PM
USMustangC

Default Engine and transmission

I have a 1968 ford mustang 302 CID V8 and I'm looking for a web site or place that sells new built engines and transmissions that are comparable with my car.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
USMustangC

Compatible*
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

jegs, summit, etc. If you want something more custom it would be better to find a local engine builder to set you up. That way if there are any problems it's not a big hassle to get it fixxed. I'm guessing you're in the marine corps and stationed around camp lejeune (correct me if I'm wrong), but if this is the case then you should have no problems finding one in your area. If nothing else there are some good candidates in the fayetteville area.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
USMustangC

Yeah I'm in camp Lejeune I was thinking of buying local but a lot o places here are shady so I try to avoid the area if I can. What would you consider a reasonable price for a new 302?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

check out www.fordstrokers.com the owner of that site is a member here he can build to your tastes for your motor....
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Engine depends you want stock or more power the trans depends on what you have auto or stick and how much power and do you want a overdrive gear or not.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 AM
USMustangC

I just want a stock replacement for the original the 302 and auto with an OD
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMustangC
I just want a stock replacement for the original the 302 and auto with an OD
Why not just rebuild the engine you have? Getting that rebuilt, since you already own it, should be no problem.

For and automatic overdrive, you should use a Ford AOD (Automatic Over Drive) transmission. These are well supported with conversion parts, you can basically bolt one right in.

If your 302 is trashed for some reason, and cannot be rebuilt, there are plenty of choices.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:44 AM
USMustangC

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Why not just rebuild the engine you have? Getting that rebuilt, since you already own it, should be no problem.

For and automatic overdrive, you should use a Ford AOD (Automatic Over Drive) transmission. These are well supported with conversion parts, you can basically bolt one right in.

If your 302 is trashed for some reason, and cannot be rebuilt, there are plenty of choices.
Thank you I will look into that transmission.
I would love to rebuild it since its numbers matching however I simply just don't have the time being in the military and prepping for a year deployment when I get back I'm also getting out a month after i return and headed to school.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMustangC
Thank you I will look into that transmission.
I would love to rebuild it since its numbers matching however I simply just don't have the time being in the military and prepping for a year deployment when I get back I'm also getting out a month after i return and headed to school.
you'll have plenty of time while you're deployed. Just drop the car/engine off before you deploy and pick it up when you get back. If it's a numbers-matching engine and you want to keep it that way then this is your best bet. You'll be able to get the trans done during this time as well.

If you live in the barracks or don't have your own house then you'll likely have to put the car in storage anyway. Be safe and keep your head down while you're out there.

As far as finding a place to get it worked on, I HAVE to believe that a few of your local marine buddies around base have some classics/mustangs. Just figure out where they go to get their cars worked on. i can speak highly of epic motorsports and force-fed performance, but they generally deal with subarus/evos. Just ask around. You'll find a good shop.

Last edited by jojobanks; 01-22-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine and transmission