Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coolant has milky white color - oil mixed in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolant has milky white color - oil mixed in?

I started my 66 Mustang today. Checked the fluids. The oil dipstick was covered with dark oil half way up. Several times I wiped it but couldn't get a better reading. Transmission level was low as expected. I saw black soot on the ground behind the tail pipes.

But then I looked at the coolant. It had a milky white color. I thought this was associated to a mix of oil in the coolant. Is that true?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Kirklandkie
1st Gear Member

as i understand it thats an indication of a bad head gasket, and yes oil in the coolant

-kirk
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

For a blown head gasket, it is more common to get coolant in the oil than the other way around, but it can happen.

Transmission fluid (auto only) can get in the coolant when a tranny cooler goes south.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy Milky White color to Coolant

Oh, great. Thank you for the quick reply.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
For a blown head gasket, it is more common to get coolant in the oil than the other way around, but it can happen.

Transmission fluid (auto only) can get in the coolant when a tranny cooler goes south.
this. If you have oil in your coolant, then you should have coolant in your oil as well. your oil would look like a chocolate milkshake. although if you spend a lot of time in the high rpms where oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure, then I could see this happening. Still, there should be some trace of coolant in the oil if it were a headgasket.

if your radiator is old, brittle and in rough condition, you could try to replace that before you go after the head gaskets.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 PM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

NOT meaning to jack the thread. But, I have a question for you guys on the same lines.

No milkshake at all, clean oil and clean coolant. BUT I do get tiny bubbles in my radiator and have lost some coolant. No visible leaks. How can I tell if I have a blown head gasket!?
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Joes65
1st Gear Member

Autozone rents an engine block tester for free, all you have to do is buy the testing agent.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oxfordbp
NOT meaning to jack the thread. But, I have a question for you guys on the same lines.

No milkshake at all, clean oil and clean coolant. BUT I do get tiny bubbles in my radiator and have lost some coolant. No visible leaks. How can I tell if I have a blown head gasket!?
are you losing a lot of coolant? Look for white smoke out of the tail pipe. You could pull the plugs and look for coolant in the combustion chamber. Otherwise do a compression test/cylinder leakdown test and see if any of your numbers are below 120.

If your oil and your coolant are clean and you have no outside leaks, the only other place coolant has left to go from a head gasket is the combustion chamber.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jojobanks
are you losing a lot of coolant? Look for white smoke out of the tail pipe. You could pull the plugs and look for coolant in the combustion chamber. Otherwise do a compression test/cylinder leakdown test and see if any of your numbers are below 120.

If your oil and your coolant are clean and you have no outside leaks, the only other place coolant has left to go from a head gasket is the combustion chamber.
Not losing a lot, well I don't know cause its not a daily driver. In fact I have probably only driven it two miles just cause I couldn't help it! In those times that I have started it and just let it idle it has lost about an inch of coolant from where I had it filled.

No white smoke.

I will try the plugs and see what i find. I need to change them anyway...what type should i use!?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Some times that milky stuff in the coolant is normal if it sat for a while.Just compression test the engine look at the plugs and watch your fluid levels.

Quick Reply: Coolant has milky white color - oil mixed in?