Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 302 4 barrel after market carb

Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

another thought.... un hook ur carb linkage and try to play with the idle. It might be out of adjusment and holding the butterflies open
Old 05-02-2012, 01:18 PM
danhiman

Originally Posted by 68dustin
Do you know where the idle adjustment is? are you turning the correct one? Did someone open the secondaries too far at that adjusment? There are many adjusments that could have been made. i would first spary carb fluid around the base to check there for vac leaks.

if this screw has been turned too far it will make the idle high as well
Crap, can I get to that screw with the carb in place. I will spray around tonite. I filled the tranny and it seems much better. Does anybody have pics of the auto linkage for the carb? I don't have this set up on my carb. Not sure if I need it for the 3 speed.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
danhiman

I'm using the instructions from the holly website for the carb when make the idle adjustments.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

ok. ya it's 1 screw where the linkage is. after you spary ur carb, I would start by unhooking the throttle linkage.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 PM
danhiman

Up date. Previous mechanic connected the PVC vacuum lline to where the Powerbrake vacuum line goes, and the line that goes to the airfilter housing to where the PVC line goes. Since he has no power brake booster, I blocked that opening, re routed the PVC to the correct port, and re connected the air filter housing line. Now I am able to lower the idle. Purring like a kitten. Now I need to take care of the shakes. New engine/tranny mounts, shocks struts, alignment, tire balance, and leaf springs. Everything seems original, so there should be a big difference in performance. Since the car in the day used leaded gas, is there a some additive?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:44 AM
1969boss302

could possibly be a bad carb base gasket, try spraying WD-40 around the base of the carb while idling and listen for the engine to slow down once you spray the area with the leak.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
danhiman

I got the carb situation resolved. She's shaky at 40 mph. Drives like a boat.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

That Street avenger is a good carb, its not suppose to need any tinkering out of the box. Glad that you got it figured out though.

As for the vibrations, check your timing to see what your base is at and what your mech advance is.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
danhiman

She revs good, and still has pick up even thou shes shaking at 40. It almost feels like a bad wheel.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
danhiman

Up date. Set the timing to 6 btc. Wheels balanced, alignment complete, engine running stong, engine and tranny mounts replaced. Still shaking but as bad, found bad u joints, will replace tomorrow. I have a tranny leak where the linkage is connected to the tranny housing. Is this a difficult job? I think I found the correct bushing/seals, but not sure as of yet.

Thanks for all the help on this by the way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 302 4 barrel after market carb