Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

low vacuum, stick with power or switch to manual brakes???

Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Default low vacuum, stick with power or switch to manual brakes???

Well I bit the bullet today and removed the booster from the car. Removed the drivers seat and for all my procrastinating on this, it didn't come out too bad. It's an original 69 power brake disc/drum system, no power steering. I was sure I had a vacuum leak and after going through everything else it was clear that damn booster was fubar. Some solid advise is what I need at this stage. This engine only produces 8 inches of vacuum at idle. It is a 418W, the engine builder warned me running power brakes may be problematic. The booster had quite a bit of fluid in it. It was one of the only parts during the restore that I chose to reuse, bad decision lol. Should I try a Booster Dewey rebuild and see if the brakes will be right with such low vacuum? I'd hate to go that route, reassemble the thing and not have it work correctly. I know you like pics:

Under the circumstances it seems I would be wise to convert to a manual brake setup. I know I'll need a manual pedal and that the power pedal support will work with some effort. A 74 maverick master seems to be the popular choice and an adjustable master rod too. What happens with distribution block? What kind of changes to the lines at the block need to happen? Am I missing anything for the swap? Is it possible I'm overthinking this thing and that I should have the booster rebuilt and try it? Good weather is coming and I gotta move forward one way or the other. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by chillininnh; 03-11-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

There are a couple other options.

1) Swap to a set of Rhoads lifters. They collapse at lower rpm's to reduce duration and valve overlap, improving low-rpm vacuum (and torque). I run them in my 331 and I'm happy with the improved low-end response. They do clack a bit as a result of the lifters collapsing and smacking the valves into their seats, but I find it tolerable. These lifters were stock on Viper V10 motors for a long time.

2) Switch your vacuum advance line from ported vacuum to full manifold vacuum. This May require some slight timing and advance curve adjustments, but it will get you higher vacuum at idle. Performance tuners sometimes like to do this to have better control over timing advance.

I'd recommend rebuilding the booster and trying #2 first. It's the cheapest and easiest of your available options atm, although it may require some timing tweaks. I like option #1 as well, but that's a bit more in depth than you may want to go.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
There are a couple other options.

1) Swap to a set of Rhoads lifters. They collapse at lower rpm's to reduce duration and valve overlap, improving low-rpm vacuum (and torque). I run them in my 331 and I'm happy with the improved low-end response. They do clack a bit as a result of the lifters collapsing and smacking the valves into their seats, but I find it tolerable. These lifters were stock on Viper V10 motors for a long time.

2) Switch your vacuum advance line from ported vacuum to full manifold vacuum. This May require some slight timing and advance curve adjustments, but it will get you higher vacuum at idle. Performance tuners sometimes like to do this to have better control over timing advance.

I'd recommend rebuilding the booster and trying #2 first. It's the cheapest and easiest of your available options atm, although it may require some timing tweaks. I like option #1 as well, but that's a bit more in depth than you may want to go.
I agree completely.

As for the valve noise some people complain about, it's less apparent than the normal sound from "solid" lifters, which I have in my 66.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Well I sent the booster off to Dewey for rebuild this morning. I'll adjust the timing, bump up the idle and tune for highest vacuum at idle and see what happens. If that doesn't do it I'll try a vacuum canister. If I'm still having trouble I guess there's a vacuum pump in my future. A set of Rhodes lifters may very well solve my problem but I just don't want to take the top end off the motor. The vacuum advance is locked out btw.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Why is the vacuum advance locked out?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

I have posed that question to my builder and I'm awaiting a response, I've never owned an engine with the vacuum advance locked out lol.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:26 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go to the junkyard and find a vacuum booster off a turbo car like a 300zx etc and just hook that up and youll have vacuum to run your brakes
Old 03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
69thunder
2nd Gear Member

A vacuum reservoir works great and is a cheap option.