Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I need some quik help with stud mount rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default I need some quik help with stud mount rockers

So I have another post here about problems I had with a miss after putting my heads on. I know that it is my problems. They are stud mount and must be shimmed.
My cam uses the 351/302HO firing order. I need to reshim my rockers. I can only find the valve shim/adjustment sequence for the standard 302 fining order.

will someone post the order for the valve adjustment real quick if you have it. I need to get it done right away so i have time to get it to my buddies shop so he has time to work on the trans before the day is over. Currently it is at tdc and the #1 valves are set.

Thanks.
B
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

I thought the 351 with stud mounts and Hyd. lifters are just cranked down with the proper torque. This is how my 351w setup is and I have posted on this before. Now do you think one or many studs are not 100% seated and have pulled out a little so you have some tick/lash?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Stud mount rockers aren't shimmed. The pushrod length has to be measured to get the proper sweep across the valve stem. Then the correct length pushrods are ordered to set the rockers, snug plus 1/2 turn. Pedestal mount rockers can be shimmed. I can't say for sure but the pushrods used before more than likely can't be reused. The rocker ratio will effect the shimming or pushrod length used to get it right as well, in both cases.

I would search Trick Flow for the installation instructions to your heads. Make sure you are searching the proper part number for your heads as they offer a large product line for the SBF. There may be a pushrod length indicated in the instructions.

I suggest measuring the length on several cylinders if not all of them. Valve seats cut at different heights will effect stem height and therefore the correct length pushrod or shim. The previous owner may have ruined 1 valve, rebuilt it at a different seat height and passed the issue on to you. It is a risk when buying used heads.

Doing this incorrectly is the fastest way to ruin the valve guides and requiring the heads be rebuilt.

The valve adjustment sequence is the same as the firing order on the cam. Every 90* of crank rotation the next plug fires. Adjust #1 hole, rotate crank 90* and adjust the next fired cylinder, then repeat.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

pedestal mount rocker. It sits on a pedestal and the shim would go underneath the pedestal.

http://www.proformparts.com/product-...ategory_id/276

Stud mount rocker, no pedestal, adjusted by pushrod length. This type requires pushrod guides.

http://www.prw-usa.com/category/products

I reread your post. Maybe I misunderstood your question. Do you have studs that aren't long enough for the lock nut?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't set it once and be done. Do it properly, set the exhaust lash just as the intake valve begins to close. Set the intake lash just as the exhaust valve starts to open. Stud mounts are NOT shimmed.

Ochohill is absolutely correct, you need to measure the length of the push rod. If you're using your stock rods they are the wrong length. I also found on my Trickflows that the intake and exhaust push rods require different lengths. If you cut corners you will have problems down the road.

Last edited by mr_velocity; 04-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Can this still be done while the motor is running? By turning on the rocker that is ticking until it stops ticking?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Sorry for the confusion on the termanology. They are pedestal mounts. they do get shimmed and i have checked the pushrod length and ordered the correct ones.

I have it down now. after a third Do Over i was able to get them all set.

I am having another issue now. I believe that it is carb/fuel related. Once i get to 5k rpms in 3rd it craps out. I think either my fuel line is a little too small or the float bowls are adjusted too low. It is starving for fuel and crapping out. I will post the solution tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Definately check the floats.