Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Radiator / Fan Spacing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Default New Radiator / Fan Spacing Issue

I just got a 3 core radiator for my wife's 66 Mustang. Its an I-6 with an original 2 core that just doesn't perform well in the heat and with the A/C conversion. So the 3 core fits in the hole but I can't fit the fan back in as its now too close to the radiator. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to solve the spacing problem? I was wondering if the spacer could be changed out to a smaller one or omitted completely. I had removed the original fan and replaced with a 5 blade from NPD. According to the parts catalog, the 5 blades were used on cars with factory AC.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM
ThetaTau87
1st Gear Member

How much thicker is the 3-row radiator? If you just need a small amount of additional clearance to get the fan to fit with enough clearance to the fan you may be able have the spacer cut down. If you need more a shorter spacer would be the best way to go.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 AM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThetaTau87
How much thicker is the 3-row radiator? If you just need a small amount of additional clearance to get the fan to fit with enough clearance to the fan you may be able have the spacer cut down. If you need more a shorter spacer would be the best way to go.
Its roughly an extra 1/2 inch. Problem is the new one won't drop into place because it gets jammed by the fan. Take the fan off and then you can't get the fan,spacer, and bolts back in. Its got the 3 groove pulley setup on the water pump which could be replaced by a single pulley but I measured both my 65 and the wife's 66 pulley setup and they are about the same spacing. I have a single pulley setup on my 65 I-6. I'm beginning to think I never should have replaced the fan and cannot remember what I did with the old one. Right now the fan sits about a 1/2 inch from the radiator where on the 65 its about 1 1/2 inches. I've located a small spacer but its looking like its just not going to work.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
03BottleFedGT
3rd Gear Member

Either get a shorter spacer, or do electric fans.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Spacers come in different heights, see hayden I believe, sold at parts stores or Summit.
Here's a chart if it helps:
[IMG][/IMG]
Jon
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Hwyman

I ran in to almost the same problem on my 66. Difference was I put in an electric fan, but it was bumping the water pump nose. I notched the top and bottom of the radiator support and moved the radiator to the front (other side) of the support. It moved the radiator farther than I thought it would and gave me plenty of room.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

why complicate it just get a smaller spacer or cut the one you have...
Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Constance83

How much thicker is the 3-row radiator?
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
kc5mhb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Constance83
How much thicker is the 3-row radiator?
Roughly 1/2 inch. Its just really close in there with that 5 blade fan. The front had been wrecked and welded back together. I'm beginning to think it might be welded just a little too close. I located the flex a lite spacers on Jegs which should do the trick. Guess I'll be ordering that with the rear axle for my '07 in the next few weeks.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Hwyman

Shorter spacer is a much better option than cutting the radiator support. I was forced because of the elec. fan. I am going to look at the spacer you found so I can have a back up in case the elec. fan fails away from home.

Quick Reply: New Radiator / Fan Spacing Issue