Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cam/rocker conversions

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Default Cam/rocker conversions

Figured since I'm using a 351w from 72 for my build, I should post it in the classics forum. Mods feel free to move if you feel it belongs elsewhere.

As stated, I have a 72 351w out of a truck I believe. I'm going to go for a 408w (was going to go clevor, but the advantages of going with aftermarket heads makes the machine work I'd be paying for nor worth it.) I want to do a hydraulic roller setup. How can I check to see if it was hydraulic or solid? I looked online and was actually not able to find anything in terms of info that helped me out in this department. The motor was flat tappet for sure.

Is it as simple as going with different lifters? Are cam bearings affected?

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

a 1972 block is hydraulic flat tappet...if you want to go roller i would go ahead and sell what you got and get a 1996+ 351w from a f150/e150 etc they are roller/setup for roller cams

a reduced base circle cam is pretty expensive when you can get a roller block at the beginning of your build and just pick a cam that matches your specs jmho

also the late model block also has a one piece rear main seal

Last edited by rmodel65; 04-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Easier said than done. There aren't that many of those blocks laying around. Roller cam 5.8's were only around for a couple years before Ford switched to the mod motors.

If you can't find a late model roller block, you can convert your existing block for use with a standard roller cam using commonly available aftermarket conversion kits. Most major cam manufacturers have them. It won't be cheap at the end of the day (conversion kit, cam, and lifters will probably set you back $400+ unless you find something used), but it will free up a lot of power.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

roller 5.8s are common in the junkyards here in south ga...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:37 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I thought you just needed special lifters designed for use in non-roller block and of course the matching cam, no big deal. Sure it costs more than a flat tappet setup, but worth it.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
a 1972 block is hydraulic flat tappet...if you want to go roller i would go ahead and sell what you got and get a 1996+ 351w from a f150/e150 etc they are roller/setup for roller cams

a reduced base circle cam is pretty expensive when you can get a roller block at the beginning of your build and just pick a cam that matches your specs jmho

also the late model block also has a one piece rear main seal
I do like the one piece real main seal the newer blocks have to offer. But what exactly is all involved in the conversion? I found a "conversion" kit from Crane cams here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-36806-16/ Is it really just this?

I noticed you said something about a reduced base circle cam too...could you elaborate on what that is?

Thanks for the info so far though!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:11 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Easier said than done. There aren't that many of those blocks laying around. Roller cam 5.8's were only around for a couple years before Ford switched to the mod motors.

If you can't find a late model roller block, you can convert your existing block for use with a standard roller cam using commonly available aftermarket conversion kits. Most major cam manufacturers have them. It won't be cheap at the end of the day (conversion kit, cam, and lifters will probably set you back $400+ unless you find something used), but it will free up a lot of power.
I did find one a 97 for $350 obo. The kit by itself is right around the same price. The only reason I haven't pounced on the block is that I've always been told that older 351w's have basically more meat to their cylinder walls and are just more sturdy. And I am building a 408w so if the older blocks have more meat on their bones so to say then IMHO paying for the conversion kit would be worth it for my specific application no? Are there any true structural differences between the older and newer blocks?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 PM
craig71springsport
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the help so far guys, it's truly appreciated! I would like it if someone could explain the conversion step by step if possible. I've been asking around and heard so much stuff about it over the past couple days that I forget what's bullcrap and what I've heard actually holds water so to say. Really glad this forum has intelligent people who don't mind explaining things to others, really means alot!
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
ThetaTau87
1st Gear Member

The kit you linked is NOT a roller cam conversion kit. That kit is to convert the rockers fulcrums to rollers.

You will need a kit like this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/39...A50K3/10002/-1

This if for newer Ford blocks. You will need a kit designed to work with the older block you have. In a quick 2 min search I didn't find one for the older blocks, but I know they are available.

Originally Posted by craig71springsport
I do like the one piece real main seal the newer blocks have to offer. But what exactly is all involved in the conversion? I found a "conversion" kit from Crane cams here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-36806-16/ Is it really just this?

I noticed you said something about a reduced base circle cam too...could you elaborate on what that is?

Thanks for the info so far though!