Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AOD swap questions for the pros...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default AOD swap questions for the pros...

simple few questions as i am in the process of swapping the c4 for aod.

i took out the c4 and put in the aod. all mounting brackets fir perfect. only thing i had to remove exhaust manifolds but thats not a problem as I bought new headers and i had to cut the actual exhaust pipe a little but ill sort that out later. im up to running the cooling lines for the aod. is there any specific in-out pattern from the aod to the radiator? i also am mounting a small seperate radiator for the aod in front of the main radiator. just need to know if one of the holes is in and one out...

second question.what type of transmission fluid should i use in the aod. i know c4 uses type F which was hard to find, what about the aod?

third question..what are the gear pattern for aod...P R N D 2 1?

fourth question when purchased the aod and Torrque Conv..it had some fluid in it. i want to drain it before i add the new fluid. should i also draind the tc completely from the drain plug thats on it? if so is there any technique on ree filling tranny and tc?

thanks guys
Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

1. top is inlet, bottom is outlet

2.Dextron/Mercon III

3. gears are weird but its 1, 2, then (3-4). if you manually shuft it you start in 1st. shift up to 2nd then back down to 1st to keep it in second. then back up for third. silverfox makes a nice valve body to correct it. so it will be 1,2,3 and then a button for 4th.

4, for the TC i would just turn it updside down in a bucket and let it drain then refill.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

So will the Mobil ATF 220 be a good choice?

As for emptying into bucket, I have it installed on car now, there is a drain valve but how would I refill it? It's only accessible on bottom.

And as for shifting, I'm assuming I can use my stock shifter?
Old 04-19-2012, 02:02 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

as long as it is a dex/merc III your fine. The drain plug Im sorry I do not know. Im sure some google searching will find out. As for the stock shifter you will have to modify or make your own linkage to make it work. I iunstalled a ratchet shifter on mine.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
1. top is inlet, bottom is outlet
1. This is opposite of what my research showed from numerous sites, this is the quote from Baumann
'Q. Which cooler line fitting on the AOD transmission is out and which line is in?
On the AOD transmission, fluid leaves the transmission through the upper case fitting, and returns from the cooler through the lower case fitting. '
http://www.becontrols.com/tech/aodfaq.htm#aodfaq_q3

I ran mine from the top fitting >right rad cooler inlet, left rad. cooler outlet > left aux. cooler inlet, right aux outlet back to lower AOD inlet.

I am installing Mercon V, I'm thinking there's a better chance that Mercon was used vs. GM Dexron even though both are compatable.

2. Once the trans & convertor are in you could only drain the converter, it is filled by pouring a quart in through the shaft outlet hole so that's not accessible now. I'd leave what's in it as it's not good to start the engine with an empty converter. If you do my trans shop advised to put it in reverse as soon as you start, they said this would fill the converter sooner but best scenario is to have a quart of fluid in the converter like it normally has.

3. If you don't manually shift you're fine, just leave it in D and it'll do it for you, D will be 3rd for speeds <~40-50mph and it will upshift into/back from OD.

4. You can use your stock shifter (the aod lever is pointing up right?) but you'll need to fab an adjustable rod with heim joints on the ends to make it easy and you'll probably be adjusting it to get the gear indicators to line up with the trans selection.
Jon
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I got from this but it could be wrong i guess.
Attached Thumbnails AOD swap questions for the pros...-aod-schematic.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

maybe my schematic is an aode...but my tranny is good...lol
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
I got from this but it could be wrong i guess.
Strange, any idea where that schematic came from? kinda small for me to view but looks like it says what you posted.

This if from TCI's FAQ:

AOD

Fitting Location - Thread Size - Flow Direction
Upper - ¼" Pipe - Cooler feed/out
Lower - ¼" Pipe - Return/in

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/cooler-fittings
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Sounds about right, I'll get to that next week, tomorrow gonna cut up my c4 yoke and put back the driveshaft. If I'm done maybe even get to installing shift linkage.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:46 AM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Dunno about u all and cutting yoke but driveshaft for c4 will not fit with new aod in car. What should I do? Can u cut driveshaft?

Also, how far in do I put c4 yoke into aod so I know how much to cut off? Looks like I need to cut off 2 inches

Quick Reply: AOD swap questions for the pros...