Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Monte Carlo bar for A/C equipped

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
19stang68

Default Monte Carlo bar for A/C equipped

Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a Monte Carlo bar made that would fit an A/C equipped Mustang - in my case a small block 68? I haven't see one specifically mentioned but was wondering is the one specified for the Paxton Supercharger would work?

Craig
Old 05-20-2012, 07:10 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang68
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a Monte Carlo bar made that would fit an A/C equipped Mustang - in my case a small block 68? I haven't see one specifically mentioned but was wondering is the one specified for the Paxton Supercharger would work?

Craig
Hi,
I've only seen two styles, curved and straight. That is if your looking at what the typical mustang vendors are selling. There are other variations with slight differences too.
Since I don't run AC, I'm guessing the curved style may not work. Although when I ran PWR steering, I didn't have a problem. I'm thinking the straight bar would be the first choice. I suggest, since it's "show season", you seek out a couple of car shows and take a look. I never payed attention to this when I attended.
Good luck!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang68
I was wondering if there was a Monte Carlo bar made that would fit an A/C equipped Mustang - in my case a small block 68?
I don't understand why a regular straight bar wouldn't do the job. I have a straight bar on my 66, and so does this car-

Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I had to go with the curved because i was running a msd dizzy that sat a little higher and the straight one hit it. Once I installed the A/C it would no longer work. I am going to make a custom brace!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MonsterBilly
I had to go with the curved because i was running a msd dizzy that sat a little higher and the straight one hit it. Once I installed the A/C it would no longer work. I am going to make a custom brace!
You mean like this?

Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

yup, just like that!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 AM
19stang68

Smile

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
I don't understand why a regular straight bar wouldn't do the job. I have a straight bar on my 66, and so does this car-

Hi 2+2GT,

Looks like it should work. I was told that the regular straight bar wouldn't work. I will have to investigate it a bit further as mine is a 68. Think I will call the vendor and ask them directly. Thanks.

Craig
Old 06-06-2012, 08:35 AM
19stang68

Talking It fits

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the replies. I ordered a straight Monte Carlo bar and it fit my A/C equipped '68 just fine. And in case others want to know the answer, for future reference I have included a picture as proof.

Craig

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Off topic a bit, what brand T5 Clutch cable kit is that your running?
The 68' we bought has the EXACT same aluminum block as yours and we are having problems with ours.

Back on topic; what brand is that brace? I like it a lot and it should clear our MSD that is going on.
If its a DIY setup, where do you get the mounting brackets?

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
You mean like this?

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 06-07-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Off topic a bit, what brand T5 Clutch cable kit is that your running?
The 68' we bought has the EXACT same aluminum block as yours and we are having problems with ours.

Back on topic; what brand is that brace? I like it a lot and it should clear our MSD that is going on.
If its a DIY setup, where do you get the mounting brackets?
a) Can't answer specifically- I typically use the stock pushrod and bellcrank clutch linkage.

b) The bar in question, including the brackets, was made by the owner. He's quite the restorer, having started with this-

Quick Reply: Monte Carlo bar for A/C equipped