Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Stuck axle bearing race

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
RuthlessTable

Default Stuck axle bearing race

My right rear axle bearing on my 71 grande went out so I attempted to replace it. Upon removing my axle the race was left behind in the axle housing. Does anyone have an tips or tricks on how to remove it. I know this is not going to be too easy to do but I really want to avoid having to cut it and possibly cut into my axle housing by mistake. I tried using a 3 prong puller with a slide hammer while heating it with a torch but it couldn't get a good enough grip.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Hi,
You might try heating the circumference of the axle flange to expand it, then re-try the slide hammer. Otherwise, outside of cutting it and this will be very tough as it's a hardened shell, is to remove the gear set and try knocking it out from the back with a long drift. That is, if you can catch the lip. I'm curious, did the bearing some how separate on the axle? Aren't these one piece units pressed onto the axle?
Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
RuthlessTable

The last thing I tried on it yesterday was heating it and trying the slide hammer but I can't get a good grip on the lip with the hammer. As far as I can tell when i pulled the axle out is that the inner race split into two pieces and the bearing fell apart. Luckily I was close to my house and not on the highway when it happened. I'm going to try cutting it today cause it looks like I have no other options at this point.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

Bearing races are vary hard due to the case hardening, but they are also brittle.
I had a similar problem years ago & I used a large chisel and a 2# hammer to shatter the race. If you try this, make sure you plug the axle opening with a rag so you don't get any pieces in your diff.
Also, make sure you wear good eye protection!
Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

cutoff wheel in an ir grinder, cut the race as far trough as you can in 2-3 different places then beat on it with a large hammer/chisel to try and get it to split at the cuts. Sometimes freezing it with co2 will get it cold enough to help split it after the cutoff wheel method.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 AM
RuthlessTable

I imagine I will have to swing the hammer fairly hard so my only concern is that can the axle housing easily be damaged doing this?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Xargon321
2nd Gear Member

best bet would be to get a bearing puller and a slide hammer 5 pound or larger and have at it. can get some dry ice and see if you can shrink the race a little and get it out.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

If you still can't get is loose, no better excuse to buy a Currie rearend
Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Don't cut that housing!

Get a good chisel, sizable ball peen hammer, work gloves and safety glasses and start whacking.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:44 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

They shatter pretty easy, don't be afraid to hit it.

Quick Reply: Stuck axle bearing race