Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

So close to driving....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Bosko
1st Gear Member

Default So close to driving....

After a year in the garage, I had the Mach 1 ready for a test drive. At least so I thought.

New Wilwood brakes felt good, new upper and lower control arms, new adjustable strut rods, new springs and shocks in all four corners, new tires and wheels. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the fuel system, new fuel line, new fuel filter.

Backing out of the garage, everything just quit. Engine died, no electrical power anywhere - lights, radio, etc. Put it back in park, then electrical power came back. Very hard to get it started again, and once it was I had fuel gushing up through the fuel bowl vents. Tried to pull it back into the garage and lost all power again. Finally got it started and back in the garage, where of course I could not replicate the power problem. Runs great now....

So explain to me again how much fun it is to work on old cars?

I'll clean out the carb and recheck the float settings tonight. As to the electrical problem, I'm not sure where to start.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

check volts from starter to solenoid. from solenoid to starter. from solenoid to alternator. I had a similar issue and it turned out the part of my battery cable that bolts onto battery stud was erodded a bit and not getting enough volts. hopefully someone on here has a better idea. electrical problems suck, especially one like this that can leave you stranded.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Timetravelinn
1st Gear Member

id check all your electrical fittings also (to starter solenoid, engine ground, etc) a loose ground or wire could be your frustrating no power issue. Also check the ground to your ignition box(msd or otherwise) if you have one.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Bosko
1st Gear Member

I got the Mach 1 on the road today. Ran good, and the new suspension and brakes felt great. If I can figure out how to post pictures and video I will. I have them on my Facebook, but I don't know if I can get them to link here.

The electrical problem was fairly simple - the ground strap between the engine and chassis was missing. I ran a short cable from the negative battery post to the chassis, now all seems to be in working order. I'll get to a more elegant solution when I do the tear down and rebuild, but this works for now.

The card was just full of junk again. I tore it down and cleaned it out again, and went back to the old float. I also bought an aftermarket fuel filter with a finer screen than the stock on and replaced the stock one. Its amazing how much crap it picked up in running for just a few minutes, even after cleaning out the tank and flushing the fuel lines.

Thanks for all the help over the last many months and years guys. More to follow.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you can click the image button in the box here it will give you "img" tags then on the picture you want you can right click and copy the url then post it between the "img" tags

or upload them to photobucket it and post the link wrapped in img tags here
Old 06-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Bosko
1st Gear Member

Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap that car is beautiful! Not enough 71-73 Mustangs at car shows or even on the road for that matter.

Friend me on facebook. I want to see more pictures. James Musnicki is my name.

James