Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake lines- DO IT YOURSELF

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM
goldrush031619

Default Brake lines- DO IT YOURSELF

I have a 69 mustang coupe. I have manual drum brakes on all four wheels. I would like to replace all the brake lines. I've found only 1 set from California Mustangs that are "Pre bent" for $137. Our should I just buy straight ones from O'Reillys auto and try to bend them my self? I have no experience with the bending tool to do it myself, so I'm wanting anyones thoughts on how easy or hard it is to learn how to bend the tubes. And is it worth the savings or just spend the $137 and get them already bent?

Thanks for the input,
Joe
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I would buy the straight ones and teach yourself how to bend them. Buy a good bending tool not a cheap one. Watch a youtube on bending the lines its very easy. That way if you do any mods (disc breaks, 9 inch rear etc.) to the car in the future that require you to relocate the lines a diff way you can do it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
keithnra
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
I would buy the straight ones and teach yourself how to bend them. Buy a good bending tool not a cheap one. Watch a youtube on bending the lines its very easy. That way if you do any mods (disc breaks, 9 inch rear etc.) to the car in the future that require you to relocate the lines a diff way you can do it.
x2 its not hard to do
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM
goldrush031619

Great advice, thank you. I will surely be upgrading in the future to disc brakes
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

agree with the others. I'd like to offer IMO, the spring type benders work good for gradual bends. Anything else really needs the lever type bender that has the angles. You will also need a double flare tool because not all of the pipes are going to end up perfectly to a manufactured end.

Harbor freight is one place to look for the tools.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

a job you can do on your own for sure, brake lines are the easiest to bend, and since they are so thin you can do alot of the shaping with your hands if needed (unless they are stainless). Dont forget to get a flaring tool, im sure they can be rented.

edit* i should really read the other posts, i just repeated what everyone else said...
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

prebent is nice and will save a couple hours of labor.

it's easy to make one wrong 90 degree bend and then have a piece of scrap (unless you double flare and put on a coupler...).

Last edited by BuckeyeDemon; 05-29-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM
67 newb
1st Gear Member

I bought the pre-bent ones. It saves a bit of time, but I found that it it didn't fit perfectly and required additional bending/modifying.

Try to keep the original line in 1 piece and use it as a reference.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Gun Jam

because of its hardness stainless is more difficult to work with and tends to not seal as well. I believe the general consensus is to avoid using it. I know at least one member here who had issues with it. My advice is to read up further on stainless before you decide if its a good idea. I dont personally have any experience with it...just a thought.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
because of its hardness stainless is more difficult to work with and tends to not seal as well. I believe the general consensus is to avoid using it. I know at least one member here who had issues with it. My advice is to read up further on stainless before you decide if its a good idea. I dont personally have any experience with it...just a thought.
i did mine in stainless. i had to do a lot of rework due to a different master cylinder, addition of a line lock, proportioning valve and residual valve. it definately was more difficult. but everything is sealed up.

i personally wouldn't tell someone to avoid it, and instead indicate it will take more effort to make work and involve more expensive tooling if the need for a double flare arises.

Quick Reply: Brake lines- DO IT YOURSELF