Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Replacing Rear frame rails on a 65

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stratostix
I removed the gas tank today gave it a closer inspection. Looks like the both trunk drop offs, rear frame rails and rear crossmember (not the tail light panel) will have to be replaced. I'm going to wire wheel all the metal back there (besides the obviously rotted area) to see how far I will have to cut the frame rails. Again, i will need your collective knowledge as this project progresses. I've NEVER worked on unibodies. Only wranglers (Tub on top of frame). I will be putting her up on jack stands tomorrow if time allows, remove the wheels and inspect the inner wheel wells. I will post more pics as I go. Please feel free to jump in and give me tips + advice. Thanks!

Try to keep the repair on the aft side of the wheel wells and it will go very easy and relatively inexpensive est ($250). (just a butt joint repair on old frame to new frame and new inner qtr panels)

The other alternative is replacement of the entire frame rail and last time I looked they were about $300 each rail and are considerably more work to replace since the tie the floor pan into the rear of the car.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
stratostix

Originally Posted by jlg2002
Try to keep the repair on the aft side of the wheel wells and it will go very easy and relatively inexpensive est ($250). (just a butt joint repair on old frame to new frame and new inner qtr panels)

The other alternative is replacement of the entire frame rail and last time I looked they were about $300 each rail and are considerably more work to replace since the tie the floor pan into the rear of the car.
What do u mean by "aft side"? Im not familiar with this acronym or is it a typo? Either way, thankfully i dont think that i will have to replace the whole rail. Probably the last 2 feet at most. So u recommend a butt weld rather than overlapping the rails?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Aft, in naval terminology, is an adjective or adverb meaning, towards the stern (rear) of the ship(car in your case), when the frame of reference is within the ship

Last edited by rmodel65; 07-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Also used in aerospace it means the "after" or rear part of a vehicle or vessel. sorry for the confusion.
http://dictionary.infoplease.com/after

As far as a butt joint vs a lap joint- i don't think it really matters since the final product is a connection of the floor panels which help reinforce. From a construction perspective, the butt joint is easier IMO. There is a mustangs monthly tech article that shows how to do this:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projec...t/viewall.html
Old 07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
stratostix

Originally Posted by jlg2002
Also used in aerospace it means the "after" or rear part of a vehicle or vessel. sorry for the confusion.
http://dictionary.infoplease.com/after

As far as a butt joint vs a lap joint- i don't think it really matters since the final product is a connection of the floor panels which help reinforce. From a construction perspective, the butt joint is easier IMO. There is a mustangs monthly tech article that shows how to do this:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projec...t/viewall.html
Ok thanks. I did some work today and pulled the rear axle so im gettin rdy to start pulling the sheet metal apart. Like i said i never worked on unibodies before so im not too familiar with the qork. From what i understand, gotta wire wheel the paint off to find the spot welds, drill them out leaving the base metal intact and use a chisel to seperate the sheets from the sealer. Did i miss anything? Ill post progress pics as i go. Thx for the help.