Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

72 misfiring, help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 72 misfiring, help please

ok, let me see if I can describe what it is doing accurately...

When you start the engine and it warms a little we hear a light *pop* pop* from the tailpipe, actually we can sometimes actually pinpoint the tailpipe it is coming from.
We get little or no smoke when we start it. Going down the road, you let off the gas at cruising speed and we get a couple of *pops* not loud backfires, unless we have really romped on the accelerator.

I checked the wires, all good. We put the old plugs that were in it BACK in it after being told that platinum plugs might be a problem.

The vaccuum switch is the one I am talking about and the lack of vaccuum (thanks to nualln) is probably explained.

THe car was not doing this when we bought it so we are convinced that it is something we did that we haven't got adjusted right.

We put another carb on, rebuilt the fuel system and ignition system...changed the timing chain...that's where we are at. We didn't remove the distributor but it seems simple enough if you guys think we should pull it and check the teeth.

I will be here waiting for any help you can give,

Thanks guys,
Charity
Old 09-30-2005, 07:30 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you haven't done a compression test yet, there isn't much more we can add. The little pops are quite normal with worn engines with worn valves and valve seats. As I mentioned before, you probably need to have your heads worked on, or replace them.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:43 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah mine pops alittle out of the exhaust.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:43 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

gotcha...I am going to get a gauge tonight and check the compression ASAP. What's causing the hesitation? The heads? My hubby is already looking at some fancy ones, lol...you'd think it was his car.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:58 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Because he knows, that a set of good heads will boost your HP alot.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

LOL, right you are, he was very disappointed Christine doesn't have more HP.

What kind would you guys get?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: newownerof72

gotcha...I am going to get a gauge tonight and check the compression ASAP. What's causing the hesitation? The heads? My hubby is already looking at some fancy ones, lol...you'd think it was his car.
It sounds like my wife and me wih our newly adopted kitty cat. At first it was hers, then it suddenly became ours as the pooper pan had to be emptied and the dry food bowl had to be filled. You know dang well with married couples that every thing you guys have and own is a shared project.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:16 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

Yeah, he gripes about working on her and I gripe when he puts his foot in her or pops the clutch...

We have an understanding....

Are ya'll going to be around ltr? I am going to go get that compression gauge ltr and will post those numbers for ya.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:03 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Since I am 6 hours ahead of you, I'll be turning in soon, but will be up at the crack of dawn if the rooster doesn't crow first.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:35 PM
newownerof72
1st Gear Member

alrighty,

no compression numbers for you yet, although we got the gauge and we set the timing at 6 and have left it. It still hesitates...we think it is like every 10-15 seconds, so its not every time the piston fires.

I actually numbered the wires so there is no way we could get them out of sequence.

I am also going to call my dad about a good machine shop to get the heads done, since that is probably where our problem lies. I will check in tomorrow though I still won't have any numbers since the hubby works tomorrow till 430.

Soaring, you said you were six hours ahead of me, where you at?

Quick Reply: 72 misfiring, help please