Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Making progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Default Making progress

I picked up a 92 5.0 H.O and AOD on New Years Eve for my conversion in my '68 Coupe. Making progress. Got a complete Explorer intake and a Cobra upper for nearly nothing.......gonna go with the Cobra upper. Thanks to JamesW's site, I've managed to drill the hole in the timing cover and move the dipstick to the front and drilled and tapped holes for the ACT sensor and EGR line in the Explorer lower. I've got the battery box in the trunk, the new fuel pickup and inline fuel pump installed and waiting until I set the engine in, (next couple of weeks hopefully), before I run the fuel lines and battery cables.

Flying blind mostly, never attempted anything like this before.......learning a LOT and having fun though!!

From this:

Name:  Newengine1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  337.8 KB
Name:  newengine3.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  270.0 KB
Name:  Newengine2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  327.0 KB

To this:

Name:  prettymotor3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  421.5 KB
Name:  prettymotor2.jpg
Size:  441.6 KB
Name:  prettymotor1.jpg
Size:  431.2 KB
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

With the Cobra upper, freshly pressure washed and painted.

Name:  prettyengine7.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  186.8 KB
Name:  prettyengine6.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  265.1 KB
Name:  prettyengine5.jpg
Size:  187.7 KB
Name:  prettyengine4.jpg
Size:  217.4 KB
Name:  prettyengine8.jpg
Size:  196.0 KB
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

subscibed.. to follow.

please document this completr build , difficulties, what was easy etc.

trying to talm my shade tree mechanic bro into this.. we already have the 289 block rebored and ready to put together on my 68.. but im working on him to got his route. hes hesistant thinking it might be too much work.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Falcopilot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cxr
subscibed.. to follow.

please document this completr build , difficulties, what was easy etc.

trying to talm my shade tree mechanic bro into this.. we already have the 289 block rebored and ready to put together on my 68.. but im working on him to got his route. hes hesistant thinking it might be too much work.
Honestly, so far nothing has been that difficult......but a bit scary at times.....I'd never drilled and tapped a hole before......now I've done it twice......in an aluminum manifold.

I think the diificult part is still coming and it surrounds the wiring.......getting the newer wiring harness to work with the old wiring still in the car.......lights, switch, radio, etc. I know practically nothing about wiring, so we shall see.

It IS a lot of work, but that is to be expected.

Wiring and fuel delivery are the two keys......and $$$.

There are prepackaged kits for the battery relocation, fuel pump, filter, lines and in tank pickup.......I bought them all to ease my pain.

At the same time I've rebuilt the entire suspension and converted to a power disc setup up front..........again, this has been a LOT of work, but I think there is a glimmer in the distance at the end of this tunnel.

I have taken a TON of pictures........every single bolt I've removed is bagged and labeled, and every part I've removed is stored on a shelf. Organization goes a LONG way when you are reassembling!!

I'll keep you posted as I continue.

Again, Jame's site has been a Godsend during this conversion.....click his name below.

JamesW