Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Unisteer manual Rack and Pinion installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Default Unisteer manual Rack and Pinion installation

So, according to my codes, I have a July 21st, 1967-built Mustang convertible. But, because I didn't look closely, I ordered a late 1967-70 manual Rack from Unisteer, through Summit Racing. My car has an early 1967 steering unit. And no, someone didn't put an early unit in it; I'm aware of every maintenance item in this vehicle since new.

I should've looked closer, but that's completely my fault.

I went ahead and installed the R&P unit first. I bought a 1/2" impact wrench, which I instantly fell in love with. the original steering unit came out slicker than snot.

Things to remember: Steering wheel puller. Don't even screw around, go to your local auto parts store and rent one. 2 min, tops to remove steering wheel.

Go ahead and download the instructions from the Unisteer site. Mine that came with were not for an early 67 and were dated, to boot.

Don't be afraid to grind obviously non-structural metal that prevents easy installation. With me, the sticking point was the pivot bolt for the lower arm. Grinding it flush with the nut was the final straw that allowed the unit to fit. the Unisteer rack was made correctly, it was obvious that the poo-flinging drunken monkey Ford paid to mount the suspension drilled the hole wrong.

I used a transmission jack to hold my R&P unit up while I maneuvered it around. This was an incredible thing for making it easier to figure out what suspension bits were in the way of installation.

Once I figured out I had the wrong kit, I called Unisteer, twice. Each time they shipped me out, quickly, the correct part without charge. Or question.

I've heard bad things about installation on these things, and I "get" that. But I think this is Ford's fault, if my car is any indication. But to call Unisteer up twice, because of a mistake that was utterly and entirely "my fault" and have them ship me items to fix it for free is amazing.

I think next time I contact Unisteer, it will be to send them a Christmas card or something. Count me freaking impressed.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I hear ya. I installed my Unisteer manual rack before I had a lift and it was not a huge deal, great piece. Now that I have those little edges ground off of the car I can pull the R&P anytime in about 10 minuets....on the lift.

Name:  IMAG0871.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  69.7 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 04:18 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I hear ya. I installed my Unisteer manual rack before I had a lift and it was not a huge deal, great piece. Now that I have those little edges ground off of the car I can pull the R&P anytime in about 10 minuets....on the lift.
Oooh. I need a lift. Jack-stands for now.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

id upgrade to a later steering column because they are safer and collapse in an accident..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Great upgrade! I've heard most people are happy with their Unisteer. The rack is so superior to the old slosh boxes, you'll be throwing rocks at your old setup.

I installed the Flaming River R&P setup and steering column in mine and it bolted right in place with no dick dancing.

It just so happened that their first gen. rack cradle was awesome in the fact that you could drop the oil pan and never remove the rack, which was great! Until....

I drove by the cement plant and because those 70 ton cement trucks had been beating down the road, the man hole cover stuck up just a little too far and when I drove over it at about 30mph, WHAMO! It jarred my eyeteeth good and folded the whole rack & pinion cradle like a pocket knife.

The warranty was long gone but I called Flaming River and explained to them what happened and was talking to the owner of the company. He fell all over himself rush shipping me another cradle. The next generation cradle was just a little but shorter so now the the setup has to be removed to get to the oil pan, but eh...I haven't hit any more man hole covers.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:25 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
id upgrade to a later steering column because they are safer and collapse in an accident..
Yeah; I hear you there.

And because I ordered the wrong kit, it'll be easy to do as well, since I have all the late model parts.

But for now, am taking life in own hands. This thing needs to be running by April.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Triton28

Does the Flaming River setup limit the steering travel?
Coupe I saw you have headers, are those tri-wyes? Any issues with clearance?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Triton, I have the later model unisteer rack with the center take off and standard bend tri y headers and I have no issues at all, tons of room.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You've got one clean undercarriage Coupe. IIRC the unisteer rack looses an inch of travel on each side for the steering. Is that true, and if it is is it even noticeable in driving situations?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

I can say that is not true, I can nearly hit the steering stops and that's not really a position you will use much.

Quick Reply: Unisteer manual Rack and Pinion installation