Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CSRP master cylinder, proportioner and distro block question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chockostang
The National Chain stores----------No Way they know.
For the most part, I understand the sentiment...but there are a few people behind the desk that still know what they're doing. On the downside, most of those people are usually in the back of the store talking to the shops on the phone (I'm one of those people), and aren't generally available to help joe schmoe fix his weird brake conversion on the weekend.

But if you can find a guy at one of your local stores that knows his business, get on his good side and he'll be an invaluable resource.

Last edited by Starfury; 04-01-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Webdoc

Originally Posted by Starfury
For the most part, I understand the sentiment...but there are a few people behind the desk that still know what you're doing. On the downside, most of those people are usually in the back of the store talking to the shops on the phone (I'm one of those people), and aren't generally available to help joe schmoe fix his weird brake conversion on the weekend.

But if you can find a guy at one of your local stores that knows his business, get on his good side and he'll be an invaluable resource.
Amen to that Tad. I'm in the same position. Most of my guys will come and get me when they run into something like this. As a matter of fact, if it's Ford related they come a callin'.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Kcodesignalflare

I have a CSRP front disc conversion... It should be painted this weekend. Then, I will install my brakes. Can someone please post some pics of the brake lines??

Thanks
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kcodesignalflare
I have a CSRP front disc conversion... It should be painted this weekend. Then, I will install my brakes. Can someone please post some pics of the brake lines??

Thanks
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-and-pita.html

Go there and look at his setup. It's not ideal, as his proportioning valve is unsupported. But it is the only pic I have found.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Me, I'm stuck. No one in the area has the fittings, desire or ability to help me out; I need a way to adapt the 7/16-24 fitting coming from the back brakes, so I need to go through the distro block again to make it a 3/8 to 3/8 male setup to get to the proportioning valve. That leaves me a 3/8-24 to 7/16-24 section short to go from the Master Cylinder to the distro block. Of course, I am guessing at the fitting and thread sizes, as it's some big f'ing mystery as to what they actually are.

Parts stores around me are worthless. They generally have one of those boxes of fittings that has 4 fittings left in it, and act as if they cannot/don't want to order a fitting. The guy at O'Reilly's glared at me angrily when I mentioned wanting brake lines/fittings. I thought he was going to punch me for even asking.

Ah, life in a former Union town.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

All of the lines should be 3/16", although I suppose the rear line could be 1/4". The thread sizes you mention sound correct. If I understand you correctly, you just need an adaptor that connects a 7/16" male nut (3/16 flare) to a 3/8" female hole (3/16" flare)? If so, I'll see if I can remember to find a part number at work today and report back later.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
All of the lines should be 3/16", although I suppose the rear line could be 1/4". The thread sizes you mention sound correct. If I understand you correctly, you just need an adaptor that connects a 7/16" male nut (3/16 flare) to a 3/8" female hole (3/16" flare)? If so, I'll see if I can remember to find a part number at work today and report back later.
Yes on the 3/16" tubing and the step down adapter. There also needs to be a short bit that has 7/16 male on one and and 3/8 inch male on the other, to run between the MC and the distro block. I've destroyed a bunch of tubing trying to build it, but the pre-bend I have is too brittle to flare on my cheapo flaring tool.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That line from the m/c to the dist block is an off-the-shelf piece. Every O'Reilly's has them, although they're probably sitting in a bucket next to the brake line rack with all of the other m/c adapters as there's no organization for them yet.

I forgot to check for the fitting yesterday. I'll try to remember today...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I broke down and drove to an adjacent town, where I "heard" a guy at the rickety old NAPA store was helpful in things like these. The first clue, btw, that you have arrived at the right parts store, is when three young kids have cars sitting in the vacant lot across the street, jacked up and working on them.

I described my issue with the owner, and in a second, he'd produced two 12" 3/16 lines with 3/8-24 ends, a 7/16" female to 3/8" male adapter for the rear brake line to the proportioner valve and a 3/8" female to 7/16" male adapter for the front brake distro block to the M/C. So, if anyone is doing a 67 convertible with an I-6 like mine, you need:

2 x 12" 3/16" lines with 3/8-24 ends (that's standard)
1 x 3/8" female to 7/16" male brass adapter fitting
1 x 7/16" female to 3/8" male brass adapter fitting

The 12" line gives plenty of room for coils, curves and wifferdills, which are necessary in pressure line. The adapter for the rear reservoir of the M/C also makes it a lot easier to remove and replace that line; as is, you cannot really clearly see the hole on the reservoir fitting, as it is deeply recessed.

And if you ever are near Colfax, Iowa, stop in at the NAPA store there and give them business. That guy is worth his weight in gold.

Last edited by 120mm; 04-04-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I would love to see pics of the MC and valve done with the new lines.
Lynn

Quick Reply: CSRP master cylinder, proportioner and distro block question