Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Default Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Hello everyone,

My name is Marc and I recently bought a 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe off of eBay. I got it home and stored away. Here is a little more background. I bought the car from a body shop that had restored all of the body and frame with new parts and removed all the rust. They also put a 5 lug 9 inch rear axle, and updated all of the brake system to disc brakes. The car does not have a transmission or engine. So with all that explained here are my issues/questions.

1. Does anyone have a suggestion on which engine I should put in it?
2. Since only the body and whatnot are done, does anyone have suggestions on what I should work on next?
3. Should I reinstall the fuel tank and gas link or the engine or what?

I am completely new to Mustangs, and restoring cars. So if anyone can give me help, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance. Talk to you all soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:39 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

as for the engine, the 9" should hold up a lot.
Since you don't have transmission and engine, you can match them up no problem. i think in such cases money is the deciding factor on what guess in there as well as taste. how do you want to drive this car and how much money do you want to spend? what is the gearing in the rear axle and is the rear open or llimited/locked?

as for what to do next. If I had the car in it's shell I'd proceed with avoiding rust if that hasn't been done by the body shoip. maybe put in insulation. If you plan to re-do the electrical wiring, this might be a good point to start it. I leave this to them who have done it before.

do you have pictures?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

I do not currently have pictures although I will be taking some and I will be happy to share. As for money and engine I am pretty open. I did find a 390 with an auto transmission from a 1969 mustang that someone nearby had. He is willing to let both go for $500, but that sounds very ..... well inexpensive to me. Any thoughts?

There is no rust on the car except for a small amount right on the edge of the trunk lid. As for the rear end, I have no idea. Is there an easy to check to see if it is unlocked or limited?

I was thinking of doing the electrical first, I just wasn't sure what people would suggest.

Thanks. And I will be posting some pictures soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

lift the car in the back so that both wheels can turn
turn one wheel as if the car were driving forward while holding the 3rd member in place so that doesn't turn). what is the other wheel doing. driving forward or driving backward? then lower the car on one side (or lock one of the wheels) and turn one wheel until the 3rdmember did exactly one revolution. how many tyre turns do you need for that to happen?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Pictures!

Haha, but as far as an engine and transmission go, there's two ways you can consider.

1. Have a price range and use it to find the engine and transmission that fit your budget.
2. Check the VIN number and consider putting an original engine and transmission per that VIN. (Restore it to original engine and trans)

Just my quick thoughts.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

My vote goes for a late model carbed 302 and a T5 or AOD.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

You have to decide what your budget is, what you want the car to do, and how fast you want it to do it.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
My vote goes for a late model carbed 302 and a T5 or AOD.
Mmmm, thats a good combo.

+1
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Anyone got any suggestion of a good source for an engine and transmission?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would look on craigslist or even put up a wanted ad on craigslist. You can also contact local car clubs and see if they have any parts they don't need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang