Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Toploader close ratio vs. wide (289)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Question Toploader close ratio vs. wide (289)

Have a '65 running a 289 (approx. 300 hp) hooked to a close-ratio toploader (RUG-AE2) that came out of a big-block 1969 Mustang. Rearend (9") also from same car ('69) with 3.50 gear. To me, first gear is a little "tall" in this car, and I was wondering if it is feasible or practical to convert a close-ratio toploader to the wide-ratio gears? Everything I've read (and from what David Kee told me on the phone) seems to indicate that I would be better off with a wide-ratio. Any opinons or suggestions?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

close ratio is what the shelbys and what not(it could be put in any car though) used to keep you in the powerband when shifting gears..wide ratio is more of a daily drive trans..since the transmission isnt original i would sell it to someone who is looking for a date coded tranny and pick up a t5 so you will gain tons in driveability and it will be nicer to drive at freeway speeds
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

+1

I have a close-ratio toploader in my '67 and 3.25:1 gears. 1st is definitely tall, but the car is an absolute blast to drive once you get up to speed. Eventually I'll drop in a lower gear set, but it works for now.

But if you don't like it, do as rmodel suggests and sell it. Close-ratio toploaders aren't easy to come by. Someone will want it, and if you're patient they'll likely pay you enough to cover a complete swap to something else. A wide-ratio unit if you'd like, or a T5 if you want some added versatility.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

I looked a little closer at David Kee's website, and it seems he sells a compete gear set to convert a close to wide-ratio for just under $600. Since I don't know jack about overhauling a tranny...I'd had to add local labor costs. Not sure what that would be...but total package would most likely run about a grand. Lot of bucks to spend "fixing" something that really ain't broke! It's just that I kind of miss how my previous Mustang (a '66 with a 325 hp 302...the one in the photo next to my posts!) would so easily chirp the tires with a wide-ratio T-10. Selling the tranny locally would actually be pretty tough...not a lot of old Mustangs left here in Puerto Rico, and NOBODY is going to pay shipping costs to the States, so no buyers there! So...bottomline....I'll most likely just keep her as she is! Funny thing about this tranny....I checked again with PO and he claims he pulled it out of a 1968 Mustang with a 390. But that RUG-AE2 number "supposedly" came out in '69s with either the 428 CJ or Boss 429. But who really knows how many cars that tranny has been in over 40+ years in Puerto Rico!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
RC65
1st Gear Member

The close ratio toploaders seem to be more sought after and carry a higher price tag. You may be better off by selling or trading?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm....didn't know the close-ratios were in such demand. Is that because they are rarer to begin with? Like I said..given the fairly steep cost to change over, and the fact that I apparently have a pretty "desirable" tranny...(David Kee also told me the same!)...think I'll hang onto it! I can deal with the slightly tall first gear...!

Thank's to all of y'all for your comments and opinions! You've been helpful.

Tom
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

That was my thought as well. Maybe you should follow my plan and just get lower gears
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Talking Update to transmission posting

Well...it's a "done deal" now...I needed to replace the burned out, shuddering clutch and pressure plate anyway, so while the trans is out of the car, decided to go ahead on and swap it over to a wide-ratio gear set with the CORRECT small-input shaft for a SBF. David Kee put the parts in the mail on Friday, so next week they should be here. I'll let y'all know how it drives afterward.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:06 PM
frdnut
2nd Gear Member

The wide ratio is much nicer to drive unless you have super low rear gears..
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 AM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

No problem there...am running a 9" rear with 3.50 gears. Looking forward to trying out the wide-ratio setup! Should be perfect for the street here...lot of traffic lights.

Quick Reply: Toploader close ratio vs. wide (289)