Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need input regarding a new Intake Manifold and Carb pairing for a "67" Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:52 AM
67castang

Default Need input regarding a new Intake Manifold and Carb pairing for a "67" Mustang

Need some input for what I want to do to the 1967 Mustang I just picked up. The engine is a 289 C code. What I was hoping to do was to replace the stock intake manifold and 2bbl carb with an Edelbrock 289 Performer 2121 4 barrel intake manifold and an Edelbrock 1406 electric choke 600 CFM Performer Carburetor. Just wanted to get some feedback on this combination. Will it work together and will it add any additional HP to the engines performance? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

600CFM is a lot for a stock 289. That's the carb I have on my aggressive 331 and it's perfect for me. A 500CFM carb would be better suited to that motor. Even the original Autolite carb works very well on a stock motor.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:20 AM
67castang

This is my first time participating on this forum, so thank you for your input. The input is appreciated and very helpful as well. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

yeah my vote is for the 500cfm too
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I've heard good things about the Holley 570 Street Avenger carb. This would be a good combo if you do future upgrades like headers and a better flowing exhaust.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Get a better carb, at least something based off the 4150 with dowleg or annular boosters. The autolites used annulars, one of the reasons they were such a good carb.

This is the 21st century, so if you're spending money on a carb, then don't waste it buying one with 50 year old technology.

As far as "too big" of a carb, that depends on the carb. A 650 annular booster carb like a QFT or higher end HP Holley, will run a lot better than a 500cfm with old technology.

Really it comes down to what you want to do with the car and how much you're willing to spend to get there. You're better off saving up for a complete setup that will do what you want, than buying 3 different intake/carb setups over 5 years (in addition to changing all sorts of other crap along the way).
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Gun Jam

Interesting about the annular boosters.

I have a street avenger 670. I think it has the old style straight through booster. If the annular booster is so great for street use with improved MPG and better throttle response then how come holley doesn't make a single street carb with annular boosters?

It appears the HP series is a race carb with no choke..and perhaps only mech seconds.

Thanks

-Gun
Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM
ProblemHouston
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Get a better carb, at least something based off the 4150 with dowleg or annular boosters. The autolites used annulars, one of the reasons they were such a good carb.

This is the 21st century, so if you're spending money on a carb, then don't waste it buying one with 50 year old technology.

As far as "too big" of a carb, that depends on the carb. A 650 annular booster carb like a QFT or higher end HP Holley, will run a lot better than a 500cfm with old technology.

Really it comes down to what you want to do with the car and how much you're willing to spend to get there. You're better off saving up for a complete setup that will do what you want, than buying 3 different intake/carb setups over 5 years (in addition to changing all sorts of other crap along the way).
OP not trying to hijack your thread but I have been wondering the same thing for a long time. I am hoping I can find what I need on either craigslist or ebay used. I have a 65 mustang with a 289 as well. I just want to make sure that anything I buy with transfer over to another engine (hoping to end up with a 347 stroker in the end) or work with any improvements I make to the existing 289.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:57 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most companies don't use annulars as standard because they're expensive, and more difficult to set up metering wise. They're typically an option on a lot of higher end carbs though.

The Street Avengers still use someold technology, but they have updated the metering blocks at least (which are extremely important to how a carb functions, basically the heart of the carb). The Edelbrocks are basically an unchanged Carter AFB from half a century ago. They have their strengths, but a lot of weaknesses for performance usage.

A lot of carb makers settle on downleg boosters. Not as expensive/difficult to work with as annular, but substantially better than older straight legs.

As far as why Holley doesn't make any street carbs with annulars....my own personal opinion is I think it's a marketing/sales issue. They save all their good **** for the high end expensive carbs. So if you want a good carb, you have to pay a **** ton for it. Honestly, their higher end stuff is way over priced imo (they prolly have astronomical profit margins). Quick Fuel makes street carbs with annular or downleg, as well as different metering setups...but they're not cheap either (more affordable than Holley though, and are basically built off the Holley 4150 series). There are other makers out there too.

And mechanical secondary is almost a must on any performance application. Properly tuned, they'll always run better than vacuum secondary. But vac 2nd carbs are good for heavier cars with auto trans setups, or mileage cars. I'd avoid carbs without a choke for street cars if you live anywhere where it gets cold in the winter......like 85% of the North American continent.

The big drawback with carb sizing, is getting one to work across multiple applications. Going from a mild 289 to a wild 347 pretty much requires a carb change. Or you pick a carb too big for one and too small for the other...optimal for neither (if you want to pinch pennies).

EFI setups can work across a HUGE range of applications, with ~1,000cfm throttle bodies being a "one size fits all" with a lot of aftermarket stuff. But then you're into a completely different ball of wax with huge upfront costs, more complication, more stuff to go wrong. Not to mention you typically trade metering/throttle response/weather issues for electrical interference issues (having a single wire routed in the wrong place can wreak complete havoc with the entire system).

Everything is a compromise.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
sdviking

Edelbrock 289 Performer 2121 4 barrel intake manifold and an Edelbrock 1406 electric choke 600 CFM Performer Carburetor is what we have on my sons 289 bored .30 over with Tri Y headers and it runs nice, not sure of the cam that is in the car but with Flow Master 40's it sounds great. Always get complements on the light rumble. I like the Edelbrock 600 because it was easy to tune and haven't had any problems with it. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Need input regarding a new Intake Manifold and Carb pairing for a "67" Mustang