Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Replacing Brake system on a 65

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Jedi_Optimus

Default Replacing Brake system on a 65

Hi everyone, little nervous about posting here but I've spent the morning lurking through the different forums trying to see if anyone had asked my question and sadly no one did. So I decided to register and just ask.

I just bought a 1965 Mustang and when I took it to the mechanic to get the ignition system upgraded to an electric ignition system I asked the guy about the brakes on the car. He said that I should completely upgrade the brake system to a disc brake system. He said the brakes that were on the car now were ok but that if the brakes went out while I was driving that I better hope the parking brake can slow me down because I wont be able to stop with the brakes. He quoted me $3k for parts and labor to change them out but thats a huge chunk of change to drop at once.

Is there anything I can do to ensure the current brake system remains as safe as possible while I save up money to upgrade? Also, the $3000 is a bit much to come up with at one time, is there a way to gradually upgrade it or should I just wait and get it all done at once?

Also is the $3k he quoted way off or is that the ballpark for this kind of work? We have been going to this mechanic for years and we trust him but I don't know if he is overestimating because he assumes that since it's a classic car that it will be more than a normal brake system upgrade.

I hope someone will be able to help answer these questions and I know I will def stick around reading through the different forum sections because there is just so much coolness here. Thanks in advance! =D
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Depends on the brake kits.

Just buy a Wilwood kit and master cyl/lines and do it yourself. You'll get some of the best brakes available on the front for under $1,000k.

Drums on the rear are ok, but you definitely want to rebuilt them at the very least.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Am assuming it's a V8? If so, disc conversions should be easy.

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...s%20SWAP1.html

A lot cheaper than $3k, and really not that tough to put on. There are a few tricks to installing them, but it's not that tough.

Alternatively, just converting to a twin bowl reservoir will give you decent safety margin.

The front drums will work just fine; you just need to understand how drums work and how to service them correctly.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Jedi_Optimus

Originally Posted by 120mm
Am assuming it's a V8? If so, disc conversions should be easy.
Its a straight six, does that make a difference in ease?

Alternatively, just converting to a twin bowl reservoir will give you decent safety margin.

The front drums will work just fine; you just need to understand how drums work and how to service them correctly.[/QUOTE]
I hadn't heard about the twin bowl reservoir. Is there anywhere I could go to online to read more about that? How easy is it to do?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Then you have a decision to make. Either go to a Granada conversion (made by the same company) or find some V8 spindles and convert to 5 lug front end with disc brakes... OR... convert it to a twin bowl system and rebuild the drums that are on it. The problem with converting is that you then have a five bolt front and a four bolt rear (which is what I currently have) or you need to replace the rear axle to get five bolt wheels all around (which I plan on doing later this year).

If you want to just keep it a six cylinder, and I were you, I'd convert to a twin bowl system and really learn how drum brakes work and do your own brake jobs. Especially if you know how to radius and periodically adjust drum brakes, you will find that drums are incredibly effective at safely and predictably stopping a car. You could make the single bowl work, but like your mechanic states, twin bowls are safer for redunancy reasons.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Optimus
I hadn't heard about the twin bowl reservoir. Is there anywhere I could go to online to read more about that? How easy is it to do?
I bet if you called the phone number at the link I provided you, he would recommend a solution.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Keep it simple, SSBC has a direct replacement disc brake set up for under $1000, with the appropriate brake reservoir and proportioning valve. Its a simple system to install, and you can probably do it yourself with some basic tools. The discbrakeswap kit is actually a GM system, not ford. And the granada swap is a pain cuz its a combination of parts. SSBC is identical to the disc brakes that should be in the car. I encourage you to get a subscription to MustangMonthly magazine, excellent mag to learn about this car, enjoy! Don't be afraid to turn the wrench yourself, these cars are a piece of cake to work on. Just do some reading, and check the forums before you do anything.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

The rear brake shoes are $25, and drums are probably another $25 each. You do need some brakes tools for that, but still not that hard to do.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

I was unaware Kelsey Hayes was Chevy system. The literature states It is the original setup used on that era mustang as do everyone I've spoken to on the subject.
Originally Posted by groho
Keep it simple, SSBC has a direct replacement disc brake set up for under $1000, with the appropriate brake reservoir and proportioning valve. Its a simple system to install, and you can probably do it yourself with some basic tools. The discbrakeswap kit is actually a GM system, not ford. And the granada swap is a pain cuz its a combination of parts. SSBC is identical to the disc brakes that should be in the car. I encourage you to get a subscription to MustangMonthly magazine, excellent mag to learn about this car, enjoy! Don't be afraid to turn the wrench yourself, these cars are a piece of cake to work on. Just do some reading, and check the forums before you do anything.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:40 AM
wsovonick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by groho
This is good advice. I recently upgraded my 65 6-cyl to front power assist disk brakes. I used the Summit Racing kit, which is basically the SSBC kit that's been re-branded and priced much more reasobably. I was there to assist the guy who did the work (fellow Mustang club member) for the whole procedure. The upgrade is pretty straight forward. It gets tricky when you install the booster and new MC, as you have limited space to tighten bolts between the firewall and new mounting bracket. That said, it's still a straight up bolt on kit. One thing the kit doesn't have is a mounting bracket for the new proportioning valve. We had to make one and then attached under the MC, using one of the bolts that holds the parking brake assembly to the firewall. My buddy also determined that I needed to upgrade to a 67-68 brake pedal switch (it's much stiffer than the 65-66). We got that from the local parts store for just a few dollars.

The change in braking is really impressive and I'm really glad I did the upgrade. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more about the upgrade and good luck with this and future projects!
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Brake system on a 65-img_2790.jpg   Replacing Brake system on a 65-img_2795.jpg   Replacing Brake system on a 65-img_2799.jpg   Replacing Brake system on a 65-img_3000.jpg  

Quick Reply: Replacing Brake system on a 65