MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Purchased my new MSD 6AL today. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/69851-purchased-my-new-msd-6al-today.html)

valley firearms 10-07-2005 02:39 AM

Purchased my new MSD 6AL today.

Well I did it. I've been threatening to buy one. I went to Schucks today and slapped down $230 and walked out the door with my new ignition box. I also purchased a new set of Autolight plugs. MSD recommends at least a gap of 50! Any tips on install? I read through the instructions on the web yesterday and didn't see any installation details with the accel points eliminator electronic conversion unit that I have. I did see the pertronix installation and wondered if it might be the same since it is the same idea. Has anyone seen any improved performance? Has anyone got zapped? It says not to touch the + on the coil when the ignition is on. Any advice will help. I plan on doing the install on Sat.

MSD instructions (PDF)

jrrhd73must 10-07-2005 01:44 PM

RE: Purchased my new MSD 6AL today.

You have to have constant voltage to the MSD. The start switch on the 73 Mustang has two different setting and gets its power differently. I either had to add a separate switch for the MSD or put a jumper that would power the MSD in the start setting and then power it in the run setting.

Other than that, I mounted it on my front shock tower. Lastly, if you have a stock tack, you will have to buy the adapter.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16459/925A1FB0161840E9A01508CB3511CE59.jpg[/IMG]

Soaring 10-07-2005 01:55 PM

Those spark plug gaps are for high compression ratios. I would start at around 40 or so, then see how it runs from there, that is unless you have over 10:1 compression ratio.

valley firearms 10-08-2005 05:46 AM

I will start at 40. I started the install today. Of course the only place to install the box is on the driver's side next to the power steering pump. Sorry window washer bag:(. By mounting it there, the darn power and ground wires are too short to reach the battery. Then, there is no reference to which wire I am to splice into the white wire using the accel points eliminator kit. I compared everything to the pertronix(which is listed in the MSD guide) and I narrowed it down to the green wire. I have a green(-), brown(ground), and red(+) coming from my dist. The black pertronix neg wire splices into the white MSD wire so I assume my Green(-) wire will do the same. I plan to smoke the box, I mean fire the baby up tomorrow after a trip to Wallys for 10gauge wire to extend the battery wires. I will post the results.

valley firearms 10-08-2005 05:48 AM

ALSO, I cut pinky and ran a new wire from the ignition switch to the pos on the coil. Is this how the resister wire is bypassed?

valley firearms 10-10-2005 09:49 PM

Well, I got the box istalled and carefully wired. Of course now the car won't run. I spent countless hours trying to troubleshoot the NO SPARK issue with no luck. I started a good post on MSD's tech web page. Today, they tell me the accel module is not compdible with the MSD ignition box. Summit claims it will work with any V8 with a distributor. Summit and MSD need to be more specific and post a disclaimer. Now I need a pertronix.

MSD thread

hutchamatic 10-11-2005 01:51 PM

Are you using white wire of the purple and green. You must use purple and green. Orange and black goes to coil. No power wire to coil at all. Big red 12v constant, small red key power, black ground. tach plugs into side of box.

valley firearms 10-12-2005 05:01 AM

Hi Hutchamatic,

MSD replied to my posts on their web site and said their box is not compatible with accel points eliminator kit:(

hutchamatic 10-12-2005 11:52 AM

That sucks. You would think that it would work like the Duraspark.

valley firearms 10-12-2005 01:16 PM

It sucked Sat and Sun when I was troubleshooting. Now it BLOWS! I have to remove the new accel kit and go to something else. A new learning experience. Gee, I guess I won't make that same mistake again[sm=icon_beat.gif]