Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Default Interesting...

So I'm making this thread to potentially save some people that can't get their car started. Today I started and drove my car, everything was good. Parked it for 5 hours, went to start it and nothing. Motor wasn't turning over. Checked the battery with a mulitimeter, battery was good. Tapped on the starter thinking it was locked up, did nothing.

So for reasons unknown while I was looking at the engine deciding who to call etc (I was away from home) I for some reason decided to grab on my fan blade (solid fan, not clutch) and turn the motor over. I was suprised how easily I could turn the fan/crank pulley then I heard a noticeable hissssssssss. I think, "vapor lock couldn't actually lock my motor up, could it?" Went to ignition switch, started immediately!

I always have vapor lock issues, but normally the engine still turns over and just needs to turn over a few times with my foot to the floor with the accelerator pedal and it starts. This time, who knows why, it actually had my motor locked up. So all you folks with vapor lock issues and solid fan systems keep this in mind for a rainy day. And finally, yes I know, if the starter couldn't do what I could by hand, its time for a new starter. Anyone got a mini starter they're trying to get rid of?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The fact that it hissed has nothing to do with the fix. Vapor lock wont lock your engine up , ever. This hiss you heard was just compression being slowly relased as a valve started to open. Vapor lock happens in the fuel line when it heats up so much that the fuel vaporizes and creates an air pocket in the line this air pocket deprives the fuel pump of a prime and it cavatates.

Likely what happened is that the starter was locked up in the teeth of the flywheel and when you turned the engine over a little by hand it released it. Used to happen on my old ranger all the time , it was a stick shift an putting it in gear an rocking it back and forth used to free the starter gear.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:20 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I would say a bad spot on the flywheel as well. I've seen it happen a lot. If it doesn't happen again, you're probably good, but if it continues, you might need a new starter, maybe even a flywheel.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

the motor was rebuilt 2k miles ago and the flexplate was replaced and balanced with the motor. what would cause this to happen? i never drive the car low on fluids or anything.

i know the starter was a remanufactured (rebuilt) replacement, and i've been looking for an excuse to run a mini starter (if i switched from my fmx to t5 later would the same mini starter work?)

i hope its not the flexplate
Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

I would guess its just one of the brushes in the starter. Just giving worst case scenario. Chances are it will never happen again.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Gun Jam

im surprised that you could turn the motor over with the fan and the belt didn't slip. I usually require a large ratchet with a 2' cheater bar!

whatever the reason glad you got it started.

-Gun