MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   67 Mustang header question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/699360-67-mustang-header-question.html)

Juturna67 08-07-2013 11:02 PM

67 Mustang header question

I have a 302 on my 67 and from what I can tell, it has the original headers. What kind of headers can I get that should require no alterations?

67mustang302 08-07-2013 11:10 PM

None.

Any headers will require some sort of exhaust modification.

What do you want out of the car, like how do you intend to use it? For instance, I prefer handling and autox/open track etc, so I run JBA mid/shorty for ground clearance to set my suspension where I want.

Juturna67 08-07-2013 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by 67mustang302 (Post 8262126)
None.

Any headers will require some sort of exhaust modification.

What do you want out of the car, like how do you intend to use it? For instance, I prefer handling and autox/open track etc, so I run JBA mid/shorty for ground clearance to set my suspension where I want.

I use it mainly on my days off and weekends. I don't plan on taking it to the track or anything like that but it would be nice if it handled well.

67mustang302 08-08-2013 12:06 AM

Define handles well?

And how much is ground clearance an issue for you, and how much do you have to spend?

Juturna67 08-08-2013 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by 67mustang302 (Post 8262139)
Define handles well?

And how much is ground clearance an issue for you, and how much do you have to spend?

I want to be able to drive it on the streets and freeways safely. I don't want it low to the ground so its easier to perform maintenance. Like I said, I don't plan on hitting 100+ on a free way or track. Also, thanks for replying. I appreciate the help. I'm on a budget so anywhere from 250-400.

frdnut 08-08-2013 11:07 AM

That is a pretty easy setup to get headers for. If you have power steering most long tube headers will require you to use a drop bracket for your power steering ram. You need to make sure you keep the bolts tight where it bolts to the frame or these can cause problems.Some people just weld in in place after bolting them up..Personally I never had any issues with mine coming lose.
Getting back to fitment of the headers make sure you read all of the foot notes supplied by the manufacturer..They will tell you what eng/trans they work with etc...

Juturna67 08-08-2013 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by frdnut (Post 8262319)
That is a pretty easy setup to get headers for. If you have power steering most long tube headers will require you to use a drop bracket for your power steering ram. You need to make sure you keep the bolts tight where it bolts to the frame or these can cause problems.Some people just weld in in place after bolting them up..Personally I never had any issues with mine coming lose.
Getting back to fitment of the headers make sure you read all of the foot notes supplied by the manufacturer..They will tell you what eng/trans they work with etc...

I was thinking of going with some mid length or shorty's. I was looking on summitracing.com. Do any of you know of any other websites that are similar to summit?

frdnut 08-08-2013 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Juturna67 (Post 8262807)
I was thinking of going with some mid length or shorty's. I was looking on summitracing.com. Do any of you know of any other websites that are similar to summit?

Not sure what it is you are looking for but you can check out Jegs which is somewhat similar.. Can I ask why you are wanting to change your manifolds to headers?..Personally I would use long tubes or I wouldn't bother.

Juturna67 08-08-2013 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by frdnut (Post 8262809)
Not sure what it is you are looking for but you can check out Jegs which is somewhat similar.. Can I ask why you are wanting to change your manifolds to headers?..Personally I would use long tubes or I wouldn't bother.

Is there a benefit to having long tubes?

67mustang302 08-09-2013 12:47 AM

They generally perform better, particularly at higher rpm. Not really gonna do much on a stock engine though. LT's that fit nice can be expensive.