Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 Coupe Drum to Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:51 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

Question 1966 Coupe Drum to Disc Brake Conversion

I currently have a 1966 Coupe with all drum brakes. I want to convert to disc brakes. I've looked at many conversion kits and have noticed there are varying sizes of discs. What do the different sizes of discs do differently when it comes to braking? When choosing what kit I want what should I be concerned with when it comes to space available? I'm not sure what all information I need to have available when choosing the disc brake kit.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Assuming all other parts the same:

Larger diameter discs allow for more torque against the wheel, so more stopping power for the same pedal effort.

Thicker rotors just cool better under extreme braking.

More aggressive pad compounds generate better stopping power, but with more noise and dust (and possibly heat depending on the compound).

Larger pad surface area generates more stopping power for the same pedal effort.

Larger diameter brake caliper pistons generate more stopping power for the same pedal effort, but require you to push the pedal farther. The opposite is true as you go to smaller pistons.

Larger diameter master cylinder requires you to generate more pedal effort for the same braking power, but you don't have to push the pedal as far (more volume, less pressure). The reverse is true as piston diameter gets smaller.

I use Wilwood entirely. Some of the best quality on the market, and affordable. Nearly all their kits are function over appearance, and they mainly make stuff from a performance/racing standpoint. They also have excellent pad compounds (which is where nearly all the other brake suppliers fall short).
Old 01-12-2014, 02:37 AM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20Disc%20.html

That is the set up I went with. In my opinion it is the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

What about spacing available? Should I be concerned with how close the discs are to the inside of the wheel that I'm using? the wheels are 17" wheels, I don't know what the depth is on the inside but there is quite a bit of room. And what about SSBC and Baer brakes?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:36 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Most 17" wheels can accept 13-14" brake kits (which is pretty damned big).
Old 01-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I used the OE-style CSRP kit for my swap, and I'm very happy with it. Everything was bolt-on except the brake hard-lines, which I replaced entirely (not hard to do). Not only is it easy to get parts for, since they're all OE, but it's also a superior system to the common single-piston Granada swaps floating around. I drive my car hard on country roads from time to time, and I've never been able to fade the brakes.

That said, I'd look at the Wilwood kit if you want a bigger, fancier setup. Street or Track Racing also has a very slick trans-am style front disc setup with bigger rotors and calipers.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

Does anyone have any thoughts on SSBC or Baer brakes?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Too expensive for what they are. That's why I keep saying Wilwood...they're not trying to sell a name, just stuff that works. The other stuff isn't terrible, mind you...but you just pay a lot more for what you get.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:20 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i have SSBC 13 inch brakes on the fastback they are huge and look pretty nice behind the wheels. Although if you want a more traditional wheel look id go with a OEM kelsey hayes setup
Old 01-16-2014, 06:04 PM
LIVE_AGAIN

Am I going to have to change the type of master cylinder for the brakes since I'm converting from drum to disc? What kind of difference will power brakes make?

Quick Reply: 1966 Coupe Drum to Disc Brake Conversion