Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 I-6 auto swap to manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 AM
wagonerkl

Default '65 I-6 auto swap to manual

I have a '65 Coupe (originally 3-speed manual) with no engine or transmission. I also have a nice little 200CID out of a '66 but it came with a
C4 auto tranny. My intention was to install the engine with a manual (either 3 or 4 speed) as inexpensivly as possible. I picked up a bellhousing, new clutch and pressure plate, and the so-called "peanut" 3-speed on the cheap.

Now I think I am down to locating engine-to-bellhousing blocking plate, and flywheel. Anything else I need to consider? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:12 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If you baby the rear axle you can get by with your plan for a time.

To get the V-8 to go you will either need to raise the engine about 2" or swap to V8 style steering.

Brakes,,, if you are careful the 6 brakes will work, but all in all if you want a reliable car that isn't scary to stop, you will want to change the rear axle, all four springs, front spindles, hubs, brakes, etc., to their V8 counterparts.

Oh yea, chances are you will need a V8 radiator too.

Am I forgetting anything?

Originally Posted by wagonerkl
I have a '65 Coupe (originally 3-speed manual) with no engine or transmission. I also have a nice little 200CID out of a '66 but it came with a
C4 auto tranny. My intention was to install the engine with a manual (either 3 or 4 speed) as inexpensivly as possible. I picked up a bellhousing, new clutch and pressure plate, and the so-called "peanut" 3-speed on the cheap.

Now I think I am down to locating engine-to-bellhousing blocking plate, and flywheel. Anything else I need to consider? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Oh yea, is you are talking about a 6 three Speer transmission, (peanut), I can't remember if it will bolt onto a V8 bell or not, but if it will , like the rear end you will need to keep your foot out of it for it to last any time.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Al Newman
2nd Gear Member

Your 1966 casting block will allow you to use a 67-69 6 cyl bell housing, dust cover, clutch fork, flywheel (9", not that 8 1/2" marshmillow setup), and synchronized 3 speed or 4 speed toploader tranny and output yoke without further issue. You will also have to locate a yoke for the rear end as well as the drive shaft from a 65-66 six cylinder automatic car. Then purchase a clutch kit (9") for a 1967-69 Mustang, and you will be good to go. Whatever you do, don't install that cheesy tranny setup you bought. None of the above will work on your 1965 200 CID block. :Your brakes and suspension can be left alone. The output yoke for your A/T, if you have it, will work on the above setup I outlined.
Best,
Al
Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I didn't read the question very well did I?

Lol, sorry!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:20 PM
siobhanspony

Default C4 swap

Hi guys, I have a '66 mustang coup 200 6cyl 3speed car I bought for my wife. I just finished the engine rebuild and all the suspension work. trying to find parts to swap into a C4. Naturally I already bought a brand new clutch and bearing, I have the tranny w/synchro 1st I'm told,bell housing and driveline to get rid of but I cut the block plate down to use on my new bell. I'm having a heck of a time finding a 6 cyl throttle linkage w/ the kick down lever. they're available for V8's but the 6 cyl is longer, it travels about 12" across the firewall. Anyone going in the opposite direction? Thanks, I'd love to have her driving her car when the weather gets nice.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:54 PM
wagonerkl

Originally Posted by JMD
I didn't read the question very well did I?

Lol, sorry!
JMD, You meant well and I appreciate the effort anyway. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM
wagonerkl

Originally Posted by Al Newman
Your 1966 casting block will allow you to use a 67-69 6 cyl bell housing, dust cover, clutch fork, flywheel (9", not that 8 1/2" marshmillow setup), and synchronized 3 speed or 4 speed toploader tranny and output yoke without further issue. You will also have to locate a yoke for the rear end as well as the drive shaft from a 65-66 six cylinder automatic car. Then purchase a clutch kit (9") for a 1967-69 Mustang, and you will be good to go. Whatever you do, don't install that cheesy tranny setup you bought. None of the above will work on your 1965 200 CID block. :Your brakes and suspension can be left alone. The output yoke for your A/T, if you have it, will work on the above setup I outlined.
Best,
Al
Al, thank you for the detailed response. I keep learning but mostly by my mistakes I went and bought what was supposed to be a '67 bell housing out of a Falcon. Unfortunately THAT bell was the 1966 ONLY bell that was, as I now understand it a one-year item. Guess the Falcon used it until '67 but the casting is a '66 number.

Why is the drive-shaft from a 65-66 Auto on your list? I have the original drive-shaft from the 200CID manual to work with. Is that no good for my application?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:08 PM
wagonerkl

Originally Posted by siobhanspony
Hi guys, I have a '66 mustang coup 200 6cyl 3speed car I bought for my wife. I just finished the engine rebuild and all the suspension work. trying to find parts to swap into a C4. Naturally I already bought a brand new clutch and bearing, I have the tranny w/synchro 1st I'm told,bell housing and driveline to get rid of but I cut the block plate down to use on my new bell. I'm having a heck of a time finding a 6 cyl throttle linkage w/ the kick down lever. they're available for V8's but the 6 cyl is longer, it travels about 12" across the firewall. Anyone going in the opposite direction? Thanks, I'd love to have her driving her car when the weather gets nice.
I can probably use some of your parts. Do you have any plans bringing you up by Seattle any time soon? Wish you hadn't cut the blocking plate as I have the correct one for a C4. We could have traded.

Unfortunately I can't help with your linkage problem as my car started as an I6 and was headed toward a V8 upgrade when I bought it. I am not interested in completing the V8 swap. Guess you could say I am "switching horses mid-stream"
Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 PM
siobhanspony

Default i6 parts

I'm coming up in june for the Yankee series, I'll be up there for 3 days I think it's the 10th thru 12th. Be glad to unload some of these parts if you can wait that long. I got a new driveline from the guy I bought the C4 from, the rest I could UPS. let me know. -Doug

Quick Reply: '65 I-6 auto swap to manual