Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 289 Carburetor problems

Old 05-03-2014, 10:23 AM
corey_lynn

Default 66 289 Carburetor problems

Hello,
My first post and I'm hoping I've put it in the right forum. I've got a 66 mustang that looks to have had a 66 C code 289 put in the car aftermarket. The VIN on the car says it's a straight 6 built in San Jose. I looked up the engine and it looks like it came out of a T-Bird.

It has the 2 barrel autoline carb. I live in Chicago so I had it in the garage from about Nov to April. It ran fine when I stopped driving it but it always (I've only had it about 2 years now) had a little hesitation when hitting the gas and I've gotten around that by feathering the gas pedal.

It starts fine and idles well, but when I drive it just wants to die. I can feather the gas pedal and keep it going but I can't really drive it.

My first thought was gas so I filled it with premium. I replaced the plugs and gapped them at 0.34. ONe odd thing was when I replaced the plugs it drove well, even without the hesitation, for about 3 miles, then it started wanting to die again.

I've tried to adjust the choke without much difference.
I've adjusted the mixture screws at the bottom of the carb, tightening them until the engine begins to cough and then backing them out a quarter turn.
I've adjusted the idle and the fast idle.
I plugged a vacuum connection that was in the back of the carb behind the choke without any effect.

I attached pictures but I have removed the choke bracket that holds the hose next to the choke to give a better view.

I'm about to pull the carb off and send it to Guaranteed Carburetors to have it rebuilt. I feel like I could do it myself but if I do and slap it back on and have the same issue I'll be back at square one.

Any ideas from you folks. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 66 289 Carburetor problems-photo-1.jpg   66 289 Carburetor problems-photo-2.jpg   66 289 Carburetor problems-photo-4.jpg   66 289 Carburetor problems-photo-5.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
corey_lynn

Default pulled the carb off

And I found a pool of oil in the right recess (looking at the motor) of the intake. This is a cavity that is right next to the intake holes that the carb covers. Any thoughts to why the oil was pooling there.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Do you see a squirt of gas into the carb when working the linkage? It should happen as soon as the linkage moves. If not, maybe the diaphram in the accelerator pump is torn.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like another casualty of ethanol in the gas. Did you use a fuel stabilizer last winter when you put it away? Probably you need to clean the gunk out of the running jets. Rebuilding the Autolite 2100 is not a hard job and it is the kind of thing that makes you feel good when completed and the car runs. There are a couple of You-Tube videos on this to help out the first-timer. I don't see either a heat riser tube or a wire to the choke. But if the choke opens after several minutes of idle, I assume it is ok. Make sure it is opening properly.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:08 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Ethanol has to be the single worse thing to happen to engines. I have spent more time dicking with ethanol fouled carburetors in the last 5 years than I previously have my entire life.
I defy anybody to give me one valid reason why we are using food to burn in our gas tanks. It galls me to no end that people around the world are going hungry because we are putting corn in our tank instead and we're screwing up our motors to boot.

If it weren't for Stabil we'd really be screwed.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:56 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

It's because congressmen get $ for corn. My daughter bought a lawnmower 2 years ago stored it over the winter and I had to rebuild the carb to get it to run last year because of the big E. It eats up those old seals like they were made of paste. It even eats fiberglass. Boaters found this out when there engines were ruined because of the E in the fiberglass tanks dissolving them and the glop ended in their valves and pistons.
If it ran well when you put it away, get the carb rebuilt.
1 last thought. Check that the squirrels or mice haven't stored their nuts and stuff in the intake. Had that happen on a motorcycle.