Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

color of 1968 GT wheel cap letters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:37 PM
390gtfastbk

Default color of 1968 GT wheel cap letters

does anybody know what the original color is for the GT letters on wheel caps that went on the slotted wheels? mine are a shade of red on my candyapple red GT fastback - I think they were all red as opposed to matching body color but not sure - if they are red, specifically what color of red? my car was originally a special order color (purple) & unless the wheels/letters were stripped & repainted...
thanks, Paul
Old 06-29-2014, 05:54 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello

the plastic center of the cap were blue. how did you figure out your car wa purple? ford never had purple as anb original color for anything.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM
390gtfastbk

there is no center being blue or plastic - its only a metal GT which is red but I don't know what shade of red
you are the second person who's tried to tell me that but yes, Ford & Lincoln did have a purple color which was on T-Birds & Continentals - from my research, the special order car/paint (also Canadian export) comes from the following yr pallets (in this case 1969 WT9083) - it appears to be the same paint but different name (Ford Lilac Frost; Lincoln - Med Orchid Poly) another Linc darker shade is Dark Orchid Metalic - since my data plate has a dash (special order paint - SOP) & Marti reports do not include SOP info, I can tell by pulling the sill plates, inside door covers, floor carpet, inside trunk latches, etc - all have same purple paint - some much "thinner" & lighter than other spots - these places would never have been painted a color other than from the original factory paint spray - I've also emailed a guy who had a 1968 purple SOP mustang as well as another who had a purple 1968 Cougar - they may have been included in Ford's Rainbow Pallet (mostly on California Specials or High Country Specials @ San Jose plant also where mine was made) I've owned it since 2000 & it drove me crazy for yrs. I guarantee they did produce some Purple Mustangs (& Cougars), thankfully not very often (I hate purple)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

The red in the letters is non metallic and there is no color code available. I go to the auto parts store and look at the tops of the paint cans to match it or find a close color. As far as the purple goes, there is only one purple in 68 and its a pale metallic purple but it was not available as a special order color on a mustang. Many people believe that one could order any color on their car that ford, lincoln or mercury made but that is not the case.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:56 AM
390gtfastbk

I knew there was no color code but just like the "stock" satin black in the engine compartment (that some people will repaint gloss) I'm sure there's something that's close to the original color vs just going out & buying "red" - I'm sure mine are faded some over the yrs so to take that color & match it won't work (for me) - Re the purple: I guess everybody else except me & the few others who've had an oddball color, cant believe that Ford would allow for a different color - apparently nobody's watched Mecum or Barrett-Jackson auctions where there's been a 1 of 1 (or 1 of 12 etc) car color from the factory - think what you want, but I know what I have & if I hadn't personally almost completely dismantled the car, I'd probably agree with the ney-sayers
Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

hello . as far as the red goes you will simply have to ose a color you like the repo letters are the incorrect color the orig color was slightle darker . . there will be a can at the aoto store that says gm red . one of those gm reds is close . . as far as purple mustangs it simply never happened . you post a question as to what color the gt letters were because you didnt know something that is commonly known yet you imply you are an expert on special order paint color and you are telling people like me that actuallly know better they are wrong . this seems very odd to me . . i have been around mustangs since they started building them . i went to the ford dealer and other dealers with my dad several times when he bought a new car in the 60s . he always requestedto see the option list and checked most the bozes . . my mom woukd want to see the color list which included special order colors and i guarantee yiu thre was never purple on the mustang list . . thee was purple on the list for 1970 dodge though . . there was no purple in any ford regional or dealer promotions . i also know craig jackson and steve davis whom has been the president of barret for many years . . i also know steves brother and i have done work on stevess cars . . i have also sold many cars at barret and some wnt for world record prices . steve is also a mustang guy as well as drew alcazar whose wifes parents own russo steele and both of them will tell you the same thi and beither of them would let you advertise that car at their auction as being the orig color because they know better plus you have no proof ng. . . bwh . .

Last edited by barnett468; 07-01-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

i was also looking at another site today and saw your post asking the same question and the guy answered it and nicely mentioned that they did not make purple mustangs . . after being kind enough to answer your letter color question and help yiu by letting you know that there were no purple mustangs your reply was not thank you for the letter color or car color info . . your statement started with i hate to burst your bubble . . this seemed a bit unfriendly to me . . you then went on about how it could have been a colors of spring or other promnnotioonal color and the guy nicely mentioned that there were no purple colors offered in any of those promotions or the tussy lipstick ad . your reply was to post a link that showed a blue mustang and you told the guy it was a purple car and that you knew about different lighting affecting the color on a photo or computer because your photography degree told you so . . this also seemed a bit unfriendly . . the guy once again nicely replied and told you that the description of the car which was right next to it clearly stated it was a factory amadagascar orange car originally with factory paint in the trunk and clearly visible on the drip rails in the photo . . it seemed odd to me that after proclaiming to this guy that you had a photography degree and this and that that he saw the bright orange paint glowing on the drip rails in the photo but you didnt. . it also seemed odd to me that you didnt read the description before you adamantky told the guy that the factory orange car that had blue paint on it was really purple . . . . . . bthe guy

Last edited by barnett468; 07-01-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
390gtfastbk

I changed screens , everything I wrote got wiped out so I'm just going to end it by saying: yep, you know it all about it all - sorry - talk about twisting words - unfriendly? WOW! I don't proclaim to be the expert but apparently you are - I also have been around Stangs since my dad ordered a '65 coupe & my first was a '70 Boss 302 Calypso Coral I got in 1972 - also I was agreeing w/ a guy saying my background in photography I know how light changes a color depending on how it reflects (camera angle & lighting), nothing else - you're saying a particular shade of blue can't appear to be a purple or vice versa??? guess again - if purple or any other color was on the standard pallet, it wouldn't be special order paint would it? you're also assuming all colors were available everywhere - but I guess every color ever offered, special order or not, would've be required to be on that pallet, yes sir! do you know what was available & ordered from Musgrove Ford in Vancouver BC? I know it'll be hard for you but take a look at these: http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/6...ofcolors.shtml & http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/purple_mustang.shtml- go all the way to the bottom (above the SOP Yellow) - I guess they made up info also - my car, according to Marti was a FLEET vehicle - I WILL BE AWAITING YOUR REPLY - SUCK IT UP & ADMIT I'M RIGHT - I don't want to be a dick but you don't know it all - I know I don't
Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 390gtfastbk
talk about twisting words...
Below is a portion of the EXACT words.

you:

ronson, I don't want to burst your bubble…

…mine was originally, from the factory, a PURPLE SOP (yes its WT9083) color

check this site - it shows a purple 68

http://specialmustang.com/cgi-bin/sp...%20of%20Colors

him:

hello;

thanks for the link. yes i've seen that site before but can't find the one you are referring to.

where is it on the page?

thanks.

you:

10th pic down next to Madagascar Orange Rainbow of colors - it's a project car…

him:

hi;

thanks for your help and your patience. unfortunately i still don't see it.

you:

what you think is blue (#10) is actually the faded old purple color - yea I'm aware of the color & lighting variations (my photography degree tells me that)

him:

hello;

I hate to tell you this but read the description next to it. It is a Madagascar orange car that was repainted the wrong color which is blue, not purple. You can clearly see the orig BRIGHT ORANGE on the drip rail next to the window.

"I have recently bought a 1968 Mustang and discovered the original color was a unique orange. After searching the VIN I discovered your site. I have DSO 710777. If you look closely at the picture you can see the original color of Madagascar Orange where the drip rails where removed. Also the trunk have never been touched and is the original Madagascar Orange."

you:

yea I didn't read the whole description until now

I have had the page you posted on this site saved on my computer for many years along with a lot of other ford special order color info. just because it shows a photo of a purple mustang means nothing. i can go to 1 day auto paint and have mine painted that color in 2 days. i have seen and even owned purple 67 and 68 mustangs and none of them were purple originally because the door tag said so.

The purple cougar is a cougar, not a mustang and it is painted WT9083 which is a 1969 color NOT a 68 color.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...969&manuf=Ford

Here is a photo of the factory orange car that the description said was blue that obviously has bright orange on the drop rails that you said was purple after proclaiming you had a degree in photography for some odd reason.

"my photography degree tells me that"

Last edited by barnett468; 07-01-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:19 PM
390gtfastbk

I could say a lot but you can't admit YOU ARE WRONG! yea I was hasty in pulling that particular site - big deal - the truth is there are special order PURPLE Mustangs & Cougars - suck it up! you are so caught up in everything else except the facts but you won't - I'm done responding to your trivial BS

Quick Reply: color of 1968 GT wheel cap letters