Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1966 Mustang as an All Year Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 PM
epicsupercoolian@gmail.com

Default 1966 Mustang as an All Year Car

Hi, I am looking at getting a 1966 Mustang Coupe with around 80,000 kilometers on it and I'm wondering if the car would be able to function all year without any major problems. I live in B.C where it is rarely goes below 0 C in the winter and it only snows like an inch. I does rain a lot though. Would the car rust? I would clean it every couple of weeks, if not more, and it would be stored in the garage. Is there anything different I would need to do for this car's maintenance than any other car? In the summer it is around 25-32 Celsius, so how is the temperature in the car?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

The car would only rust if they use salt on the roads up there.

I prefer something newer for everyday use with better heater, air conditioning, parts availability.

I don't think it would be too practical for that to be your only car.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:05 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

You REALLY need to love the car if it's going to be your full time daily driver, especially in the rain.

It has been my considerable experience that driving a classic Mustang in a downpour is the antithesis of fun. Especially if you have a cowl leak.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Gun Jam

Ive daily driven mine for the last 16 years and Ive never had to have it towed home.

Rain is okay if you dont have any seam sealant leaks (these can be repaired easy enough) The seams along the fender and firewalls are leak proofed with a putty type compound that overtime breaks up and lets water in....

Window rubber may need to be replaced proper and a bedding compound used to keep water out.

I recommend getting larger wheels so you can run a decent tire. I got 17" wheels so I could get into the ultra high performance Michelin pilot super sports. Their overall performance is amazing and that includes wet weather so they are ideal for rain but not for use in snow.

Use rain x and get good wiper blades.

Yeah it can be driven in the rain but even with all the above I do choose to often drive something else when its raining really just because why make a mess out of it and it does leak a bit of water into the trunk.

You'll need to be fairly mechanically savvy too. They do need more maintenance than new vehicles but doing the maintenance is 10X easier so I consider it a wash plus I like to mess with it from time to time.

-Gun
Old 02-24-2016, 01:06 PM
cashs mom
1st Gear Member

My 66 was my DD for 6 or 7 years. We put good tires on it and it did fine in the rain and we do have gully washer storms in Houston. I had more trouble with having to pull over in a downpour because the windshield wipers couldn't keep up and I couldn't see. Other than that it was fine. I prefer to drive something more contemporary just because it's easier. Although with my daily driver now, that's questionable. lol