Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 mustang seems to be starving for fuel

Old 06-14-2016, 08:35 PM
ewgoforth

Default 1965 mustang seems to be starving for fuel

Hi,

I'm trying to get a 1965 289 2bbl coupe back on the road. It's been sitting for 16 years. Initially I had no spark, I replaced the condenser and coil to get that working.

I drained the gas tank using a siphon pump that's meant to drain oil via the dispstick tube. I got out about 7 gallons this way and added back 7 gallons of fresh premium gas. I got it to start and it was running pretty well for a while. I drove about a mile to a gas station and topped off the tank (about another 8 gallons) figuring fresh gas would help dilute any remaining old gas in the tank.

It ran pretty well for another mile then died. It acts like it's starving for gas. It will start if you squirt ether or carburetor cleaner in the carb, but you have to pump the heck out of it and it dies almost immediately. I'm suspecting that I have a blocked up fuel line or filter. I suppose it could b the fuel pump. What would be the first things you would recommend looking at?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 PM
DimitriBrut

I recently ran into a similar problem with my 67' 289 Coupe. It had been sitting for about 10 years and I finally got the funding to bring her back to life. Consider ripping apart your carb and rebuilding it, or at least, clean it out. Definitely replace any fuel filters you have. I'd suggest the clear filters so you can see the crap your tank is trying to pump into the motor. If you're trying to burn it out, you may go through a few of these filters. My fuel pump was also frozen from sitting.... Gas becomes a gross varnish when it sits too long.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I agree, pulling the carb and cleaning it out is probably a good idea at this point. Could be all sorts of bits of gunk floating around in the bowls, gumming up the needles and passages.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:06 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

My old standby is to also replace the little rubber hose, about 4"-5" long, between the fuel tank and the hard line. That will crystalize after years and let just enough fuel through to keep the engine running for a little bit but will eventually starve it out.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:37 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

This vehicle has a mechanical lift pump for the gas supply. The pump has a rubber diaphragm which probably has disintegrated with a little bit of running after sitting for ten years. Even having run for ten years the pump should be replaced.

Search this Thread