Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

looking for the best tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default looking for the best tire

My 66 is just under 400rwhp.

i am running 17 x 8 wheels

i am looking for the best traction tire I can get. So far i have had pilots, nitto 555r, and the Hankook rs-3 tires on the rear. I still spin and spin....

the Hankook tires so far have been the best of the 3 but i am always looking for better tires. A buddy suggested i get the Tickey Thompson ET street radials, however i would have to get smaller rear wheels.

my car is only for the street however i am thinking i may try to autocross it this winter and maybe even do a Run WHat You Brung night at the drags....

please recommend your favorite tire..
Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ET Streets are pretty damn sticky, but don't expect to autocross in them. They're drag radials, and the sidewalls are not meant for cornering.

Wish I could make some recommendations, but you've already listed the tires I know about.

Are you running any kind of traction aids (traction masters, etc)?
Old 09-18-2016, 10:37 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Get wider and taller tires for a bigger contact patch...
Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Gun Jam

You could try pilot super sports...they are a highly rated street or track tire (probably higher rated than the other mentioned tires). I run them and have found them to be quite suitable for cornering as well as smooth, quite ride.

But they may not be what you are after. I saw someone who was running a Hankook track tire that was barely street legal...I dont recall the exact name but ill try to track him back down...This tire would provide better traction than the PSS. It had grass and rocks all stuck up in it. for street it would be a hot weather only. No rain no cool days. For safe performance tire temps would need to be near 90...optimal would be 120 to 140f. Pretty doable where I live I was planning on trying them out next summer.

-Gun
Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

I have caltracs and an going to be adding suffrage connectors soon as well. The weather is just getting cool enough here to actually work on my cars again.

It's too hot in the summer to work out there.

It does make it nice though being able to run summer tires all year around.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Gun Jam

Im almost certain this is the tire I saw...I would be down to try it out here in central ca next summer. Its starting to cool off now.

Its DOT legal but no cold weather they say freezing but I would like road temps over 70. No rain no snow.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+Z214

Its going to be tough to beat this tire as far as grip is concerned....Its certianly not as well balanced as the PSS but its going to get you max grip in certain situations (hot 100f+ with tire temps between 100 and 140 with 140 being about ideal)

-Gun
Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

You can try the Nitto NT05. Its closer to a slick/track tire than the 555r, however its not a full DOT approved track tire, and still rated as a street summer tire. Other options would be a variant of Michelin's pilot sports as mentioned above.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

i will look into both. Thanks for the input guys
Old 09-21-2016, 10:20 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Remember just because it is DOT doesn't mean it will be a good street tire. The Michelin Pilot SS is pretty good on my GT350. We have also had good luck with a BFG G Force Rival S on our very underpowered Lemons car.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

You are correct, DOT approved tires does not mean that the tire wont be a good street tire. However, DOT approved tires typically have a different compound, and some track tires need to be warmed up properly. As a result, the tire can effectively have comparable grip to a regular all season on dry pavement when cold.

Quick Reply: looking for the best tire