Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 Coupe wont start, carb squirting gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:41 PM
Jedi_Optimus

Unhappy 65 Coupe wont start, carb squirting gas

Hello all, I have a 65 coupe with a straight six engine and a autolite 1100 carb on it that sadly wont start. She had been running just fine all summer until one day when she wouldnt start when i went to crank her. At first I thought I had flooded her when I tried to start the car so I gave it a few minutes and then tried to start her but had no luck. I opened the hood and noticed that there was gas near the carb. I tried to start the engine again but with the hood up this time and saw that there was gas coming out of the carb.

I removed the air cleaner and tried to crank it and saw gas squirting out of the carb. I've never had this happen so I didn't really know what to do. I looked online and some people were saying that it could have been a bad battery or solenoid or starter that was causing the engine not to turn over. I have replaced the battery, solenoid, battery cables and still nothing.

I did record it and put it on youtube so maybe someone can take a look and figure out what is wrong with the car. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4mq...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-05-2016, 04:01 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Stuck float? Try tapping on the carb.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:32 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Pull number 1 plug and the cap from the distributor. Stick a rod down the spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand until the rod is pushed out as far as it will go. Note if the rotor points to #1 spark plug or 180 degree away from number 1. Also look at the timing mark. If the rotor is not pointing as above but way off, you probably need a new timing chain as the cam may have jumped a tooth or two.
The above assumes that you did not change anything such as the plug wires or distributor.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:24 PM
Gun Jam

yep that ticks all the boxes for stuck float
Old 10-06-2016, 07:33 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bop11
Pull number 1 plug and the cap from the distributor. Stick a rod down the spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand until the rod is pushed out as far as it will go. Note if the rotor points to #1 spark plug or 180 degree away from number 1. Also look at the timing mark. If the rotor is not pointing as above but way off, you probably need a new timing chain as the cam may have jumped a tooth or two.
The above assumes that you did not change anything such as the plug wires or distributor.
Timing my guess too. Another trick is to disconnect coil wire put a paper towel on carb and crank. If it blows it off timing. Either distrib or timing chain
Old 10-06-2016, 08:43 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

With all that gas running out of the carb, you have a stuck float most likely. Fix that first. If it still doesn't start, it has to be ignition and I doubt the timing got off 180 just sitting there. Have you checked to see if you actually have spark? Pull the coil wire, crank it, see if it is sending a spark. If good, pull a spark plug wire, crank it, see if it sends a spark. If all that works, then you have a real problem like a broken timing chain.