Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Mustang 14" Magnum wheel for front disc brakes help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Twanderson

Default 1968 Mustang 14" Magnum wheel for front disc brakes help needed

Please bear with me as I'm new to this site. This is only my second Mustang. Both have been 68 coupes. I'm wanting to run 14" magnum wheels on my current car. It has factory disc brakes on front. My prior car, I found out the hard way that all magnum wheels won't work on disc brakes. I got lucky when I found a used set that cleared the calipers. Since I no longer have that car, I don't know what the back spacing on the wheels I found that worked on the front is/was. Does anyone know what measurements I need to look for when I order a new set of 14" magnum wheels? Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:21 PM
Gun Jam

must it have 14s?

Switch to 15s

OR get 17" run 13.5" rotors 6 piston calipers, and ultra high performance tires like a 245 to 300 45r17
Old 11-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Twanderson

Default Thank you

Yes we're pretty well set on 14s. We have a new set of 14" tires and the biggest part, it's my wife's car and it's what she wants. I know they'll work because I lucked up and found some used ones for the last 68 we had. I've found that that the 14s come in 6, 7 and 8" wide. The back spacing on those increase respectively up to 4.5" if my memory serves me correctly. I've tried searching the forum and I've found some different links. The one that appears would work under a post by dodgestang, I couldn't access. I'm hopeful someone will have ran into this before and can guide me as to which 14s will work. Thank you again for your response.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:34 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I too would go for 15 inch wheels. You have 1 set of 14" tires now but they are becoming increasingly hard to find. The wheels will be a bigger expense than the tires and will last a lifetime.