Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 6 cyl. auto low speed lag

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:22 AM
bolensboneyard@comcast.net

Default 66 6 cyl. auto low speed lag

I have read that my problem is most likely incompatibility between the dist. and carb. on my 1966 6 cyl. auto. I have a load a matic distributor coupled with a carb. that does not have a spark control valve although it does have a dashpot on one side and a pump on the other. It lags until I reach 35 or 40 mph and idles rough. It runs good at higher speeds. I have ruled out the normal problems. I can get another carb. with a scv but the carb. is in great shape. I would rather change the dist. to one with dual or mechanical advance but want to keep it original as possible and the cost down. I have been told a dist. from 1968 from a car with calif. pollution control will work but need more info and would like some other opinions. Help will be appreciated. Senior on SS
Old 11-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Chiss

Have you tried changing the heat range on the plugs. Have you tried to bump Timing?Does it have a Heat riser on the intake? Ive seen them stick. I usually cut them out. Have you checked the Choke butterfly to make sure its coming all the way off.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:00 AM
bolensboneyard@comcast.net

Refresh my memory. Are you referring to a mechanical heat riser? Spacer is all that I can remember. Describe please. Thanks Bobby
Old 12-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Chiss

Had a 240 with the flapper in the bottom of the exhaust to stick almost closed, surprised I didn't burn a valve. Ran like a Dog.