Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Driverside Door Won't Unlock with key

Old 01-10-2017, 01:00 PM
CharminBear

Default Driverside Door Won't Unlock with key

Like the title, my driver side door won't unlock with the key. I have to go through the passenger side and unlock it from the inside. Any idea what this might be or how to fix it?

I would like to open up the door tonight after I get off work to try and fix this. Does it just need wd40 or lube? I've opened up the door panels before to mess with the windows so if that's what I need to do I can, if there's some other way that I need to get to it then I have no idea how to go about doing that.

I used to have this problem a few years back when I lived in San Francisco. I lived with a friend, and another friend and his parents at their house. My buddy owned a 65 mustang and him and his dad would work on it. One day I came home and he said he fixed my door for me. Didn't have any problems with the lock until now, so whatever he did lasted years. I texted him to ask his dad but don't know when he'll hear back from him so figured I'd ask you guys.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:04 PM
CharminBear

Sorry I forgot to mention, I have a 69 coupe
Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Try picking the low hanging fruit first with a squirt of WD40 or Tri-Flow but I wouldn't bet the farm on that being the fix. I'm betting you'll have to take the panel off to see what's up.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Does the key turn the cylinder?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:52 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Either the rod has come off, or one of the springs is broken in the latch. You need small hands to reach up in the door but it can be done

Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM
CharminBear

Yeah I knew it could be one of several things, so I started with the simplest solution then was going to work my way down. Thankfully the easiest worked, sprayed WD40 on it from the inside. Isn't the first time it's happened though so could be indicative of a larger problem that I'll have to tackle in the future. These pictures are awesome! Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:48 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Gotta love those fixes.

Search this Thread