Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Toploader Clutch/Flywheel/Hydraulic Info

Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Only do it if/when its convenient. I should have the bracket started in the next few days and can actually do most of it without any fork travel information. The slave positioning can be accounted for last with how I plan to make it.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I was able to do 90% of my clutch bracket yesterday. This project was my first time doing any welding whatsoever, using a mig without gas. Neither of those things is ideal I know. I gave the bracket the BFH test and it passed. There are no signs of looseness or flex with it installed.
Once I have more of it finished I will add a gusset or two for peace of mind. It looks bulky but I made it to hug the transmission as tight as possible, acknowledging I may have to grind for clearance later on. The welds are a lil fugly but since it will never been seen once installed I really don't care. Clutches require a few hundred pounds max of force, and even though they are cycled countless times I am confident it will be strong. In terms of fitment onto the car (which won't happen for some time actually) worst case scenario is some grinding for clearance, and additional material can be added where needed if the clearancing creates flex etc. Otherwise I think it will work great and it was a fun project.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Everyone starts out not knowing anything about welding. Congrats on taking the first step! It only gets better from here. Now get after that floor board and battery bracket.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:53 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

If you're still looking, I'll take a measurement off mine tonight. Mine is a follower behind a 351 and everything is the way the factory made it.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

If you're still looking, I'll take a measurement off mine tonight. Mine is a toploader behind a 351 and everything is the way the factory made it.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

OK. Just got home from work and got your measurement. My fork at the point that the pushrod contacts it sits 3 7/8" from the front edge of the bell housing. At full travel, it's at 4 7/8". So total travel is just 1".
Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

That is actually really helpful! I will admittedly have to adjust my plan based on that. I was thinking I would have to mount the slave cylinder more inboard than the contact point, which now turns out to not be true. Either that or run a small bore MC to get extra leverage from the mount point I was planning on. I will have to explore MC options before deciding.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Curious to see how this comes out. Maybe some pics. Getting older makes me want a bit of a softer clutch. Clearance is pretty tight with my headers though and with a daily driver...It hard to just engineer something up.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:43 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Once its more finished I will definitely take pictures. I still have a good amount of work to do, and I have to use a buddy's garage as I have none. I don't know for sure but I do think there will be clearance for headers.

Search this Thread