Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tilt away steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:38 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow Tilt away steering problem

Fellow members ,

In the last week I noted that my tilt away steering mechanism is intermittent. I have to make several attempts to move the steering wheel into the correct position and turn the key to get it to crank over.

Is there an easy way to bypass the system so turning off the ignition doesn't actuate the tilt away mechanism?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

I am sorry but I am confused about what is happening.
Are you saying that when your tilt wheel is in certain positions the ignition switch wont work? If this is the case just pull the covers off of your steering column and check the wiring. See if a wire has rubbed somewhere. Also check the rod that runs from the key lock cylinder down to the ignition switch and see if it is worn or out of position. If the ignition switch wont work with the tilt wheel in certain positions it wont be too hard to find the problem.
You could always cut the wires off of the ignition switch down on the steering column (not the lock cylinder) and run them through a start switch. There are videos on youtube that will give some information on this, depending on the year of your vehicle.
If your saying that the tilt wheel wont hold it's position with the key lock cylinder in certain positions, then you definitely need to pull the steering column off and find the problem. It will be a worn latch in the tilt mechanism which is a serious safety hazard.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by SteveL
I am sorry but I am confused about what is happening.
Are you saying that when your tilt wheel is in certain positions the ignition switch wont work? If this is the case just pull the covers off of your steering column and check the wiring. See if a wire has rubbed somewhere. Also check the rod that runs from the key lock cylinder down to the ignition switch and see if it is worn or out of position. If the ignition switch wont work with the tilt wheel in certain positions it wont be too hard to find the problem.
You could always cut the wires off of the ignition switch down on the steering column (not the lock cylinder) and run them through a start switch. There are videos on youtube that will give some information on this, depending on the year of your vehicle.
If your saying that the tilt wheel wont hold it's position with the key lock cylinder in certain positions, then you definitely need to pull the steering column off and find the problem. It will be a worn latch in the tilt mechanism which is a serious safety hazard.

Thanks SteveL. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Let me try again.

When I turn off the car and open the door the tilt functions properly. The problem is when I re-enter the vehicle and attempt to start it. I move the steering into the correct position, insert the key, turn it to "ON" position some time the column will lock sometimes it won't. Sometimes, when it locks at the moment I turn the key to start it unlocks the steering again.

When it doesn't lock the car won't crank and then I have to cycling the key and Move the steering wheel into the tilt-away position and back to the normal position. After a few attempts is will lock and the car will start.

It doesn't do it all the time. The problem is intermittent. I hope this helps to better explain what is happening.

Last edited by PotteryPal; 02-27-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

OK, I understand what your saying now. You must be working on a 67 Mustang.
Yes you can bypass this system. First, in case you don't know fully here is basically how this works. When the key is off and the door opens a vacuum motor will unlock a pin in the steering column allowing the steering wheel to move up and to the right out of the way. When you close the door you should just pull the wheel back down to the normal position and it should lock in place.
On the steering column down by the firewall under the dash you should be able to find a push button switch. This will look similar to a door switch. On the push button side there will be an L shaped piece of metal that when the wheel is in position activates the ignition switch. When the wheel is up it wont allow the car to start, and when the door opens it wont allow the wheel to tilt unless the ignition switch is off.
I think the push button is a normally open switch, so you can pull the wires and jump them together. That should allow the car to start.
This is a little bit of a rare option on Mustangs, so if it were me I would spend a little time trying to make it work right. Check for worn or broken vacuum lines running to or from the switch. There should be a vacuum canister that the lines connect to. Depending on if this had the factory AC option there may be more than one canister. Check the canister for rust. Next check the pin to see if it is worn not holding the steering wheel in place.
I think some Mercury Cougars has a similar system, but they used a cable from the vacuum solenoid to the steering release. These would become worn or out of adjustment. The vacuum solenoid switch was located on the top right side of the steering column under the dash. The easiest way to locate them was to pull the dash off. That is not too hard of a job to do.
I may be wrong with my information, if I am someone please correct me, but you should be able to jump the wires on the steering wheel position switch to make the car start.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:18 AM
SteveL
1st Gear Member

A final thought, I would make sure your door button is working. The button that shuts off the dome light when the door is closed. If this button is stuck leaving a closed circuit then it will be telling the tilt away switch that the door is open.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:18 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Thanks SteveL. Yes, it's a 1967 Coupe. I'll spend some time getting more familiar with the system. What you described is correct. I checked the door switch first and it appears to be working right. But the tilt away system needs the door switch to cycle for some reason. Not sure why. I'll figure it out.

I plan to purchase a set of books offered by several retailers (i.e. Electrical, Mechanical, etc.). I am still learning the car and finding the little nuances, problems along the way.