Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 coupe auto gear shift light

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Elvisinarknasas

Default 1968 coupe auto gear shift light

the bulb does not work on the gear shifter on my 1968 mustang coupe 289. I've tested apart the center console only to find this, and I have no idea how to set this thing. Can anyone help?

im hoping there may be a video out there to guide me but I have not see any so far.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:40 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

For starters, that one looks like it is broken. Both ends should look identical.

I never have found one of those aftermarket rods to be worth a damn. It has been my experience that they bend and flex out of shape and light up the wrong gear until one of the tips eventually break altogether just like yours has. I used one as a template and I made one myself out of a heavier piece of wire from a freezer basket that wouldn't flex.

One end snaps into the light assembly just like you have there and the other end connects to the shifter itself. If you have the correct console shifter, there is a hole on the shifter arm that it goes in to. Under the lens piece there is a rail that light slides in to and it moves back and forth when it is connected to the shifter. You'll see a pin hole for the light to shine through, make sure that is facing up and it will illuminate only one lens.

Like I said, while you have it torn apart, I suggest you go ahead and make your own so you won't be digging back into it again when it breaks.